The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: What was the first fly you learned to tie?

Beadhead Caddis pupa on a scud hood.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Can't really remember but I think it was either a ......
Me to except it was either an Adams or Royal Coachman. My Dad was not a guy who carried a ton of flies and I'm leaning towards Coachman. I was maybe 10 or so which means all of those brain cells are covered in cob webs and dust.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, my first fly was a Royal Coachman, too; tied up at about the same age as Dan. I remember my father bought me one of those get-started-with-fly-tying kits; I think either from Montgomery Ward's or LLBean's, that included a little aluminum vise, some pics of patterns, some rudimentary instructions and enough materials for you to blunder through your first few flies. Fortunately for all of you, and in the interest of protecting your eyes from ugly things, it no longer exists.

After a 50 year hiatus from fly fishing / fly tying, it was a Woolly Bugger; which I think does still exist. I'll see if I can find a pic and if I can, then I'll post it to give you all a good chuckle................

Found 'em. I tied these three "beauties" at the first sitting; bottom to top; sort of abominable to awful................

Click the image to open in full size.

They were so bad that I never fished them, out of respect for the fish; just put them aside in a small plastic box entitled: First Flies. They are helpful when I'm having a really bad day at the vise.........

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 12-21-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 AM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

First was the globug followed by estaz eggs and esl's

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
il_wi_fishing likes this.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Mercury Black Beauty

Went to the Denver Sportsmans show two years ago, met Pat Dorsey bought his latest book and tied the first fly in the book. What an expensive book that turned out to be. Great way to pass the time when the river is just out of reach.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:18 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Orange Palmer Tie was all we ever called it and about all we ever fished it was deadly on deadly on the fish in the Smokies in the 70's and 80's.My first one was not good but it floated and caught fish, i was 14 then. I just reliezed that has been 29yrs ago I still carry some Orange palmers but very seldom fish them i don't see them floating as well anymore.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:37 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Its been over 15 years since I crossed that bridge and honestly I have NO idea. I want to say it was some kind of nymph thing that I used yarn on since I didnt have any dubbing or a mickey fin.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Woolly bugger with a brown body and black tail. September of this year, for kicks I sat in on a free fly tying lesson at Cabelas and tied this one. Enjoyed it and ended up buying a vise and lots more. Great fun!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Wooly Bugger and Mickey Finn for me.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Mine was an olive woolly bugger, much like every one else! My wife surprised me with a tying kit & instructional video for Christmas three years ago or so.

They actually landed me my first sizeable trout too!

Click the image to open in full size.

It's funny how I've never caught a big fish on a fly that I haven't tied myself!