The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Favorite dry fly hook....

Just curious to see if you guys had a preferred dry fly hook. I'm partial to the good ole Mustad R50 for most of my tying but I also like the TMC 101 for midges and the 200R for hoppers/crickets. So what's your poision?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:07 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite dry fly hook....

For small stuff, Orvis big-eye hooks. For larger, I tend towards thin wire 2x long, no particular brand though.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

TMC 100/100BL/900 BL or Daiichi 1170-1190 for the majority of my dries. I'll use 1270 Daiichi or TMC 200R for hoppers/crickets/stimulators. TMC 921's for midges, small shank with wide gap. I also use this hook for Two Bits ironically enough. When I'm tying Hex's for smallies I use the 100BL SP. They are sweet hooks, but pricy. I have a few old Mustads that I'll use from time to time but I stick with TMC or Daiichi exclusively. My favorite is probably the 900 BL. Black shank adds stealth for really picky spring creek trout and barbless hook.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

daiichi 1190 barbless

tiemco 101

tiemco 2302

got rid of all 200r hooks
Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Tiemco 102Y
Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
TMC 100/100BL/900 BL or Daiichi 1170-1190 for the majority of my dries. I'll use 1270 Daiichi or TMC 200R for hoppers/crickets/stimulators. TMC 921's for midges, small shank with wide gap. I also use this hook for Two Bits ironically enough. When I'm tying Hex's for smallies I use the 100BL SP. They are sweet hooks, but pricy. I have a few old Mustads that I'll use from time to time but I stick with TMC or Daiichi exclusively. My favorite is probably the 900 BL. Black shank adds stealth for really picky spring creek trout and barbless hook.
I pretty much fall into the same camp as jaybo41 on my dry fly hooks, although lately I have been playing with the Allen hooks.

Larry

Old 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Daiichi 1190, barbless.

How can you go wrong with the "number one" hook?
[Dai = number; ichi = one]

Pocono
Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Any reason to avoid Eagle Claw fly tying hooks? Their product line for fly fishing product line isn't as extensive as Tiemco, Mustad or Daiichi, but you get 100 hooks for slightly more than the others charge for 25 hooks.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Never tried them but at that price point its definitely worth a shot.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, I prefer Dai Riki 125 emerger hooks for my dry flies. Even though the hooks have a slight bend and look like a scud hook, they are light wire and the wider gape really improves hooking power, especially on the smaller hooks down to 20's. In fact, I do the majority of my tying - nymphs, scuds and dry flies on the 125.

To me the problem with most regular dry fly hooks is that as the hook shrinks so does the hook gape and 20's are pretty tough to stick in a lip. Also, the Tiemco 200R has the same problem with such a narrow gape. This is just my preference, but anything I can do to improve hookups is a big plus for me.

I have a good friend who taught me to tie as well as build rods, and he will never, ever stray from a recipe. If it calls for a Tiemco 100 or 200R, that is what he will use, no exception. Too many tiers seem to think that they "must" stick to the recipe when tying is all about creativity for me as well as effectiveness. I'm not knocking the school of sticking to established norms, but straying from the path has brought great rewards for me.

Here are a few of my dry flies tied on the Dai Riki 125 emerger hooks:

Flav thorax dry:
Click the image to open in full size.

Mahogany Dun thorax dry:

The Yellow Sallies shown here are on 125's (as are all the other nymphs, damsels and parasols, and scuds):

And, of course, my emerger patterns, but then this hook is a natural for this type of fly:

KG's CDC Para-emerger PMD:

KG's CDC Parasol BWO - two versions:

Also, at $5.95 for 50 hooks and $9.95 for 100 hooks from my local fly shop, they are the best deal around. Some say the hooks are too brittle, and I admit that I have broken a very few when pinching the barb in the vise. But, I have never had a hook fail while fishing - not one. They are sharp and strong and I catch a lot of fish on them. In fact, I catch the majority of my fish on flies tied with Dai Riki 125's.

If they can hold onto and land fish like these, then the proof is in the puddin' so to speak:

Just my two cents...

Best Fishes!

Kelly.
newby and dakotakid like this.