The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 10 Post By s fontinalis
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By dillon
  • 1 Post By thorsten
  • 1 Post By wovenstonefly
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By silvertip8k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 03:24 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default walk through a salmon fly

Started to photograph this walk through process on numerous occasions, but always missed more pictures than i took.

Finally I got the most of them, so here it is.

Start with the hook in the vise, in this case a Ronn Lucas 4/0 Philips Jones.
Tie in the gut eye, right at the taper of the shank. usually i fully gut them but not this time.
Form a nice flat layer of thread back to the tie in point for the tinsel tip, secure and wind the tip. Here it is tied off and read to start the tag. If this fly had floss body or tag i'd have used some uni-stretch to create an ultra smooth and tapered underbody, but since it was dubbed fur, i didnt need to worry about that this time.
Click the image to open in full size.

Tag on this fly is yellow wool, dubbed, not wound.

Tie in the tail, a GP topping. Usually the pattern says single topping, sometimes two. in this case i used to as it gives a fuller look to the tail. The toppings are tied one on top of the other.

Here the butt (black ostrich) and the rib are tied in and the body started up to the second turn of tinsel. Before starting the body i ghost wrap the tinsel to find the approximate tie in point for the hackle, which nearly always starts from the second turn of rib. The body in this case is blue seals fur.

Body completed, all dubbed seals fur

Here the rib and hackle are wound, notice the hackle from the second turn

The first go around, i did tippet in strands. Which was ok, but with the replacement wing i decided to do full tippets (no photo). Here, i've also tied in the throat hackle, and changed threads, from white to black.

Here is the first wing, ready to be tied in.

and again, after tie in

First of three roof attempts on the first wing.

Third roof, and finished head, with horns. Pretty simple front end to this fly, though after seeing the photos, i wasnt happy with the whole wing/roof/head, so decided to redo them today.

After cutting off the first wing and reforming a totally new one, i tied in tippets back to back, tied in the new wing and finished the roof, horns and head.

All the more happier with this version.

All in all, i spent about 6 hours on this fly, between two sittings.

Thanks for looking, and i hope this shows a little of the process of tying a salmon fly.
Pocono, mcnerney, kelkay and 7 others like this.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 12-24-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: walk through a salmon fly

There are times I'm glad I decided to turn the 'Puter back on. This is one.
fae
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:09 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walk through a salmon fly

Really amazing. Thanks for posting the pictures.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan: Wow, that is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the SBS!

Larry
s fontinalis likes this.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

That is an interesting tutorial. The wing/ roof/head process blows me away.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:44 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

That´s GREAT!!! Thank you very much for posting these fantastic pictures
s fontinalis likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 12-26-2012, 04:28 PM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Well done. Thanks for taking the time.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: walk through a salmon fly

Beautiful fly as usual Eunan, thanks for the great SBS.
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 AM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

what a beautiful fly!...I really appreciate the picture step process too...the you tube ones are good, but I still prefer the way you did it...

I think I have more courage now to attempt similar...thanks very much...classic work...
s fontinalis likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/