The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM

rogue runner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Learning to Tie

I just started tying about six months ago, I agree don't buy a kit, I bought one assuming it was a higher end kit because it cost more, and I have already replaced most of it with better quality items. I just took my nephew into town to get him a setup and purchased everything individually. We spent just a tad more than I did on my kit, but he has tools that will last him for a long time to come. Live and learn I guess, but that was before I found this site.
mcnerney likes this.

Meep....Meep.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM

barefoot_t is on a distinguished road

Thanks, sounds like some very good advise. I will get a video and watch some tying before I venture forth into the tool. I still have two new bamboo rods to explain to my better half . . . oh, and I fish for Trout, steelhead and Salmon. Thanks again for all the advise. I will also read the links to the other question and answers although I think I learned what I was looking for. Thanks again,
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_t View Post
I still have two new bamboo rods to explain to my better half
Just tell her you'll save money tying your own flies I can't even type that with a straight face.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I always like to recomend to new tiers that you get a piece of white poster board to set your vise on when you start. A half sheet seems to work best for me. Set it with the dull side up. It'll protect your desktop, reflect the light without being glary, and it makes stuff easier to find.
mcnerney and pa dave like this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Lots of Good advise as usual.

[QUOTE=barefoot_t;512522]Thanks, sounds like some very good advise. I will get a video and watch some tying before I venture forth into the tool.
I personally think there's really no need to get a Video just watch You-Tube,If you watch Davie McPhail & others you should pick it up in no time at all.
The main thing you have to do is learn how to tie The Simple Flies first which you can catch Fish on then progress to others,as it's hopeless Tying Flies you won't use..
Brian.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks again guys, I did find a book that is for beginners and talked with a guy at the store. He was really helpful and if I picked up something I did not really need he told me, 'you won't need that yet, wait'. I ended up buying mostly Dr. Slick tools and a Griffin c-clamp vice. I stole my wife's magnifying lamp that she uses for jewelry making, but when she realizes that I will have go get me own. The book is Charlie Cravens Basic Fly Tying and if you start at the beginning and work your way through, each fly he teaches you how to do builds on the previous skills you learned. He also recommends that you tie at least 50 of each fly he has taught before moving on. I also have been watching you tube videos and hope to tie my first fly today!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:11 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

I picked up Charlie Craven's book when I started tying just a little bit ago. Then I realized how many people recommend it. I don't think you will be disappointed with that book.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen Charlie Craven's book, but I did read an interview with him the other day.
I liked this line.
Quote:
Practice well. Never say, “It’s good enough to catch fish”, because fish eat worms and marshmallows…you want to be better than that. Practice until you can do it right.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 PM

I really like Charlies book, and I did go some tools, mostly Dr. Slick, I really like their scissors, extremely sharp. I have tied my first 5 brassies #14's in copper. I will tie 20 more in different colors of wire and then step down to 25 #16's until I get to #20's. So far so good, I am really enjoying it. Finding time will be my biggest challenge at this point! And dang but isn't that whip finishing tool a fun little gadget!! Only took me about 10 tries before I figured it out!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Barefoot_t: Sounds like you have made some wise decisions, congrats! I love Charlie Craven's book, you will be miles ahead by heeding the advice that he offers. If you have a fly shop or fishing club in your area that offers fly tying classes, I would highly recommend taking them. You will be surprised at how much you can pick up with someone there working with you one-on-one. Good luck and post some photos when you get time. Just realize you can't upload photos from your computer directly into a post. There are a couple different approaches, probably the easiest is to upload your photos onto a third party site like PhotoBucket, then link to a post on this site. The other method is to create an album or gallery on this site and then link from the album to a post. You use the little yellow rectangular icon above the area where you type (it looks like a mtn) to link a photo into a post.
webrx likes this.