The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Learning to Tie

I'm with Larry, tying with people, a group, a friend, etc is a killer way to learn stuff. You tube is great if you know what you want to tie - pick a pattern and there are some great tiers out there to show you how. But if you are just a beginner and you can find someone or a group of someones that tie, this is a great way to learn too!

We have a Cabelas locally where they do a different fly each month, and they tie every other week. We also have a little group (started with 5 tiers and last month we had 20 tiers) where a friend and I teach a different pattern every week, but we have an open invite to anyone who wants to teach a pattern to just say I'll teach one next time.

We eat dinner, have a drink if your inclined, tie up a couple flies, and tell fish stories (some of them are actually true)

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.