The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Cobblers wax

Made some cobblers wax today, this time a little better than the last time i made it.

Simple process
Put a combination of pine rosin, beeswax and oil (tallow, canola, olive, whichever you have on hand) and heat it until it is liquid.
Be careful here, as pine rosin is highly flammable, and will give off a stong smell, so use only the heat required to melt the rosin, and in a well ventilated space. If it is bubbling, the temperature is to high - turn it down a a bit.
Then pour in to silicone molds of your desired shape, and allow to solidify.
You can use silicone cup cake molds, or ice cube trays which is what i've used here, 99c from Ikea

Today i used the following ratio
6.5 : 2.5 : 1
Rosin : wax : oil
Previously i've done it 7 : 2 : 1, but the wax is too hard, but still tacky. I made this today because i wanted it a little softer.

For 100g total weight/volume
65g rosin
25g wax
10 ml oil

here's the out come
Nice and tacky
perfect for building heads

Click the image to open in full size.

Total cost, for the pan, wax, rosin about $20, and you'll have enough to make about 3-4 batches of wax...way more than you'll ever use!

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 12-30-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cobblers wax

Eunan where do you get your rosin and what kind is it? Guitar Center has bow rosin that I can get locally. thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

i bought a pound of "Georgia Pine Gum Rosin" on ebay. It came from a come from a company called Diamond G Forest products, though i'm not sure if that was the seller on ebay. I think i paid about $8 for it.

The first time i made cobblers wax I used violin rosin, which was green. the wax was ****, but that could be because i just eyeballed the recipe. The pine gum rosin was much better and accurately measured.
darwin likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

Awesome stuff! I'm itching for my new tools and to get some wax, I've got a lot of blind eyes that need to have feathers crafted and fixed to em'
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Total cost, for the pan, wax, rosin about $20, and you'll have enough to make about 3-4 batches of wax...way more than you'll ever use!
Sound like you might have to get rid of some those somehow...

If you sold the next 3 batches at a couple bucks a stick you'd make your money back and then some!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 AM

at current market value and availability, i could make it back in half a batch!

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-30-2012, 12:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Small hand in the air" question here.

Exactly what do you uses this for?
mojo and mcnerney like this.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Re: "Small hand in the air" question here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Exactly what do you uses this for?
This stuff on the thread, allows for minimal wraps to hold materials when tying salmon flies, thus reducing thread bulk at tie in points, leading to better flies.

Also, when used on the thread to finish heads, its tacky enough to prevent thread slippage, allowing for compact and steep heads.

It can be used on any fly, but thats what i mostly use it for....
mojo, mcnerney and gt05254 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought. But on the odd times I use a waxed thread I'll just buy a spool. Stuff does muck up a bobbin. Always been 'conflicted' about using waxed thread when it came to sealing the head of the fly (penetration/lumpy/what-ever).

Suspect that has more to do with my amateurish efforts at a vise.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

Another use is for those of use who like to tie North Country spiders. You take a dark cobbler's wax and run it down only one side of Pearsall's silk. When you wrap the abdomen back carefully in touching wraps, the alternating light/dark sides of the silk accentuate the segmentation without the need for any ribbing.

Eunan: I am happy to buy a stick or two off you - pm me if you are interested.

Hugh
mcnerney likes this.