The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Griffith Gnat - foam underbody possible?

Does anyone know which fly would imitate this midge cluster?

Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
mcnerney, wt bash and brucerducer like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

brings back memories of the big horn river in the spring!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm not one to adhere to fly tying recipes or rules when it comes to tying but when it comes to the Griffith's Gnat I follow the recipe 100% and I'm in total agreement with Silver Creek. Sure you can tie them up with other materials and colors but the original is so effective for winter midges why mess with success? Plus it's creator is one of the founding fathers of T.U. so for me the Griffith's Gnat get tied with peacock herl and grizzly hackle, anything else is just a midge cluster in cream, yellow or red, which I also tie.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

well not to THAT degree, but I have some OLD Mustad size 18 6xl fine wire hooks (no idea what they were originally intended for) that I tie a 5-body Griffith's Gnat on. Black thread, 2 turns of herl, 2 of hackle, wrap forward, repeat 4x more, then tie a head. I always carry a couple of these in my box and have been fortunate on a few occasions to land fish on them... problem is when they rise to the front fly on the shank =)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

different strokes for different folks

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
brings back memories of the big horn river in the spring!
Early May on the Bighorn. Never seen anything like it before or since. Funny thing is the fish were feeding on top, but not on midges - size 14 (not a typo) Blue-winged Olive emergers...go figure.

Also, I do agree with Silver regarding tying the Griffith's Gnat as it has been historically done - Peacock herl body and grizzly hackle. I usually hackle my GG's pretty heavily and have never had a problem with them not floating.

My original response was to the query regarding using foam in tying the GG and not suggesting otherwise. I like my Griffith's Gnats in their original form and catch a lot of fish with them.

Kelly.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

We are discussing semantics. Is a pattern a Griffith's Gnat when peacock herl and grizzly hackle are not used? I fall on the side that a Griffith's Gnat is a very specific pattern.

There are several flies tied using palmered hackle with a peacock herl body. For example, a Renegade. I tie mine without the tag.

Click the image to open in full size.

Like Flytire, I do tie variations on the Griffith's Gnat. One is a pattern tied Griffiths Gnat style using peacock herl but with a palmered black hackle. It works very well when small black midges are mating. But I would not tell someone I was using a Griffith's Gnat because to me that is a very specific pattern. Instead, I describe the pattern.

I suspect that Flytire's variation was for pale midges.

My view is that fly tied with foam would not be a Griffith's Gnat, but that is just an opinion.

There are variations of famous flies. The Lee Wulff's original Royal Wulff is the best example I can think of. There are Grizzy Wulffs, White Wulffs, Ausauble Wulffs, Adams Wulffs, Black Wulffs, Blonde Wulffs, Grey Wulffs, Montana Wulffs, and even a Were Wulff for fans of the Twilight Films.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Of course you can do anything you want to when tying your own flies -- and since you are just a beginner Turbinblade, I like that you are thinking of ways to customize your patterns -- but I agree with Silver on this. Personally, I can see no reason to add foam to a Griffith's Gnat. First, they already float like a cork being all of a #18 or 20 hook covered with stiff hackle, and second being all of a #18 or 20 hook it be more work than it's worth adding another material without bulking up the hook.

Just don't see any reason. With it's two beautiful materials working together it's pert near a perfect fly.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Of course you can do anything you want to when tying your own flies --
Best.News.Ever!!!!

I'm assuming this means they have FINALLY abolished the Fly Tying Police Squad that used to come and take away our materials whenever we had the AUDACITY to attempt to tie anything that wasn't scripted !!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimmy7 View Post
Best.News.Ever!!!!

I'm assuming this means they have FINALLY abolished the Fly Tying Police Squad that used to come and take away our materials whenever we had the AUDACITY to attempt to tie anything that wasn't scripted !!
I don't think that is what anyone said or inferred that. A question was asked, answers given and a discussion ensued. Who would have guessed on a fly fishing forum??
wt bash and brucerducer like this.