The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Griffith Gnat - foam underbody possible?

I appreciate all the advice! I'll probably tie the proper GG pattern and also some similar gnats of my own construction .
Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

which is exactly why the icons were included...
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried using foam a couple of ways on a traditional Griffith Gnat. Neither really worked well.

The first was using it over the back of the fly after it's tied. It sort of worked but am not sure it floated better than traditionally tied. The foam needed to be so thin on a fly this small that if the fly got water-logged I don't think the foam helped that much. Here's a picture with black foam on a size 20 hook:

Click the image to open in full size.

The other was to use foam as a sort of indicator sticking up from the middle of the fly. I found the fly would just float however it landed so sometimes you had a nice profile underneath and a helpful foam sighter sticking up out of the water, but other times the foam would be lying flat on the water.

mcnerney and brucerducer like this.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted
mcnerney, dean_mt and brucerducer like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Sweet variants, Flytire! Do you dye your own peacock? I'm not sure I've ever seen dyed herls, but I guess I've never looked.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:56 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted
wt bash and williamhj like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
i dont subcribe to the notion that peacock herl is the ONLY material to tie griffiths gnats

my best day on the green river in utah was fishing a griffiths gnat style variant with a cream colored dubbed body and grizzly hackle

tie them with whatever materials you want
Flytire: That is an innovative fly. I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks for showing it.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
i dont subcribe to the notion that peacock herl is the ONLY material to tie griffiths gnats

my best day on the green river in utah was fishing a griffiths gnat style variant with a cream colored dubbed body and grizzly hackle
then its just a white midge, change to brown and its a brown midge, a griffiths gnat is peacock herl (color)
mcnerney and wt bash like this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
natures spirit did the dyeing

if I did any dyeing I' d end up with a purple microwave
I guess I would be in the same boat if I tried dyeing, but I sure like the look of the variants with the dyed peacock herl.

This thread reminded me of a Griffiths Gnat variant I saw awhile back tied by Matt Grobert from Tightline Productions, he calls it Matt's Gnat.

Larry