The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM

drahcirb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Material ethics

I love how fast you can get responses in this forum . As for the lead I don't really like how much of it can get snagged and left at the bottom of rivers. I realize fly fishing is probably a lot less than 1% of whats down there but I just don't really like the stuff. Not 100% sure if my old beads where lead or not, just using tungsten now. Sounds like the the polar bears are doing alright from your posts. I still don't think I like shooting baby seals for the white fur if thats where it comes from. Or maybe they bleech adult fur. Ill check google. I agree with Dan on if something has met its end then why toss it. However I recently had a situation where a bird of prey got killed in trap line. I was given a handful of feather although I think that may be illegal in some way. Going to google that too. Dog hair makes me sick. I couldnt imagine doing that to my lil lily. As for taking the ethics to the water I do as much as I can. ie single barbless and packing out trash. I hate seeing any site left littered
As always thanks for the info!
Richard
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about

I though I had heard it all...worrying about something from an old timers fly tying cache?? chances are the world was a lot more normal when he was tying...I wish it was so again...

I still use lead wire...because it sinks good( my contribution of maybe1/2 - 1 oz of lead a year to the environment is not even measurable) ...baby seals...I would never hurt one...but Im not a native from the acrtic circle...

in my mind the use of animal fur & bird feathers is the best recyclying program out there...not to mention all the mental health it provides...

I fly fish and tie fly's to get away from all the nonsense of the world...as do most others...there is some merit to applying that concept...

tie more worry less...t...
mcnerney, madjoni and theboz like this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of it is Shitzu (sp?) and an actual breed of Tibetan Temple Dog.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip8k View Post
I though I had heard it all...worrying about something from an old timers fly tying cache??
I don't think it's any reason to knock him, generally worth asking if one's not sure about something.

I'd not use Temple Dog personally, but there are other cultures in the world today and many historically (including European) that have used dogs as food sources so hair is not much of a stretch. Not something I like to think about with my own dog hanging out with me in the living room. A big ethical question would come down to how it's harvested. I think they have an uphill battle trying to find much market for it in North America.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all I don't think he was knocking him. Second, I too am sick of the insane PC stuff being rammed down our throats. Third, I hate threads about 'ethics' because 99.9% of the time the person posting them have already made up their mind before they post them. They tend to pot stir, which most of the time I think was the plan and I hate it. It makes me want to go put on my Polar Bear coat, my baby Seal hat and go cut down a tree in protest.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahcirb View Post
I love how fast you can get responses in this forum . As for the lead I don't really like how much of it can get snagged and left at the bottom of rivers. I realize fly fishing is probably a lot less than 1% of whats down there but I just don't really like the stuff. Not 100% sure if my old beads where lead or not, just using tungsten now. Sounds like the the polar bears are doing alright from your posts. I still don't think I like shooting baby seals for the white fur if thats where it comes from. Or maybe they bleech adult fur. Ill check google. I agree with Dan on if something has met its end then why toss it. However I recently had a situation where a bird of prey got killed in trap line. I was given a handful of feather although I think that may be illegal in some way. Going to google that too. Dog hair makes me sick. I couldnt imagine doing that to my lil lily. As for taking the ethics to the water I do as much as I can. ie single barbless and packing out trash. I hate seeing any site left littered
As always thanks for the info!
Richard
I commend your ethics. I think its cool asking questions because you care. Many of us comment on how the sport is losing popularity with the youth. If the sport grew as fast as other more popular activities we would have to have stricter ethics or there would be no fish or habitat left unspoiled or not trampled to death.

I agree that lead will do the aquatic environments no good and probably a good case can be made for the negative effects. Its not like many waterways don't have enough heavy metals in them anyway.

Most fly fishermen I have met have been bright well educated conscious responsible folk who are spokespeople for conservation practices.

I know this is a sensitive subject and I may not be popular for sharing but I have often wondered where the line is drawn between say stomach pumping to match a hatch and harassment of wildlife?

What good is going barbless if the habitat is slowly destroyed and stocks slowly depleted to extinction?

I think discussion is a good thing and there's no bad questions.
williamhj likes this.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon me but are you really asking me whether it is proper to use fur from a seal that has been dead for several decades to tie fly you are going to use to hook a live fish, pull it by the jaw into a net, and then release it hoping that it will not be the 3.5% that die?

My answer would be yes it is proper. You made that decision when you decided to participate In a blood sport. Cognitive dissonance is a b*tch.

Cognitive Dissonance Theory

The other great irony of polar bear hair vs seal fur is that the favorite food of polar bears is ice dwelling seals. So if you want to help the ice dwelling endangered seals, kill more polar bears.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-03-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Ethics is a personal matter and it's degree decided by each individual. Once you push the subject on a public forum you are stirring the pot. There are to many variables to ever have a meaningful conversation about the subject. With that said whatever you don't want from the kit send to me this way at least it didn't go to waste! As for lead in fishing or duck hunting what a disaster those laws are as verified by what #2 steels do to a landscape and how many nonlead weights never leave the bottom of the rivers. Let common sense prevail.
billyspey and wt bash like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It makes me want to go put on my Polar Bear coat, my baby Seal hat
You never struck me as a pimp Dan! Word Up!!!!
Guest1 and dean_mt like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Dog hair makes me sick, too. If you were sitting here listening to my nasalie voice and constant snuffing while two four-legged beasts lounge on my bed you'd be sick too! If anyone wants to come over, you can humanely harvest enough dog hair from my carpets, bed spred and corners of the house to tie hundreds of flies.