The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Material ethics (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/306944-material-ethics.html)

drahcirb 01-03-2013 04:52 PM

Material ethics

Hi.
I'm new to fly tying and bought a retired tyers box full of materials. I already phased out his lead beads and lead wire because of the negative effects of lead. But he has a bunch of other materials I'm wondering about replacing with another product when I'm out. Mostly my concern is with seal dubbing and polar bear hair. Where do they get these products from? Id hate to be tying with some baby seal fur that got clubbed to death. Also wondering if anyone has any other 'red flags' when it comes to buying materials. I'm sure everyone has their own ethical line they set regarding the materials they buy or tie with and I'm just trying to figure out where I want to be.
Your comments/concerns are greatly appreciated!
Richard

Guest1 01-03-2013 04:59 PM

Re: Material ethics

Well the Seal would already have met it's end so what good does tossing it do? Second, at the rate polar bears are headed in 50 years we are going to have a bounty on the darned things. They have gone from 5000 to 25000. I'll bet the beads were not lead either. I have never seen lead beads. You can toss the lead if you want but the rest of it, use it and if you are not happy buying more then don't. If you feel bad about the polar bear, send it to me.

Kerry Pitt 01-03-2013 05:11 PM

They don't club seals anymore they shoot them though that still sounds pretty heartless. Human's have become a natural population control in the seal population out east because it has been done for so many decades. Life is tough I know. Polar bears are still hunted but it is controlled and there are more now than there have been in a long time if not ever. I think what we need to look at is the source of exotic feathers, perhaps other things.
In my mind even though I love bears and hunt other things, as long as it is legal it is truly up to you as to where you stand and I am pretty sure everyone will respect anyone's right to set their own parameters. Good luck with your decision.:)

itchmesir 01-03-2013 05:30 PM

So is the fly tying just a hobby or do your ethics go out the door when you're stream/river/lake side?

s fontinalis 01-03-2013 05:37 PM

I'll take the seals fur if you don't want it. I have no issues with using it

Guest1 01-03-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt (Post 512721)
Polar bears are still hunted but it is controlled and there are more now than there have been in a long time if not ever. :)

They are actually becoming a danger in places. They are coming into towns. Did you see the video of the Polar Bear pantsing a Girl in Russia? This girl is walking around IN TOWN and a Polar Bear swats her like a bug. She goes down like a sack of bricks then he hooks her by the pants and tries to drag her off. He has her pants down to her ankles when some guy tosses a can at the bear and starts yelling. She gets up and staggers away with her pants down. Hey I found it on YouTube.

Despite what a certain commercial says, in 50 years at the rate things are going, you will have around 200,000 Polar Bears and you won't have Seals. The Seals will be Bear poop by then.

Rip Tide 01-03-2013 05:51 PM

Don't worry about the lead.
The problem with lead is that water fowl swallow lead shot and splitshot for their gizzard. It's for their their digestion just like chickens eat gravel.
Lead wire on a fly is not attractive to them

wt bash 01-03-2013 06:41 PM

There's only one tying material that doesn't sit well with me and that temple dog hair. Mostly every other material comes from farm raised something or another with exception.

Guest1 01-03-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wt bash (Post 512747)
There's only one tying material that doesn't sit well with me and that temple dog hair. Mostly every other material comes from farm raised something or another with exception.

100% with you on that one. It's actual dog. I saw one site said they had "Humanely harvested Temple Dog." I have said it before but will say it again. I don't care if they bored it to death with reruns of PBS. I will never tie flies with it.

noreaster 01-03-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 512751)
100% with you on that one. It's actual dog. I saw one site said they had "Humanely harvested Temple Dog." I have said it before but will say it again. I don't care if they bored it to death with reruns of PBS. I will never tie flies with it.

Never knew that one. That is actually a little disturbing.:( Its too bad they cant shear them for their fur.