The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 AM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default How do my clousers look?

Just trying to get some constructive criticism on hook, size, style and construction. I want to make sure I am doing it right.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm thinking a few of them may look a little sickly.
baseman1 likes this.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do my clousers look?

Generally, they look pretty good.

I have figured out that I like to tie mine on a bit longer hook. I typically like 2x long or 3x long.

Also, I have a preference for straight eye hooks instead of down turned.

The material choice is interesting but I have to say that the most successful clousers for me on the river around us, are the basic deer hairs.

Finally, proportionally speaking, I like the top color (or darker color)to be about 50% of the bottom color (lighter).

Oh yeah...don't forget, the sparser the better
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what brookfield said. Straight eye is my preference and go sparse. Less is more because less materials means more movement and thus life. Fish them and let the fish decide

Here's how to do it from the master himself.

pkins44 and trout sniper like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Lefty describes the amount of material on a Clouser minnow as being the thickness "of a barn burner match"

Of course Diver Dan ties his thicker than his mustache and seems to make a good account of himself
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that your down-eye hook will actually be an up-eye hook when fishing the clouser. The weight of the eye flips the hook so it would be easier to look at them and critique if you photographed them in their proper orientation, white belly on the bottom. Anyway, sorry to nitpick, they just look funny like that. And if you tie on with an open loop knot, like the non-slip mono, then the up/down/straight eye matters less.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Generally, as the others have said, they look good & will get eaten by most anything you toss them at. But, I'm going to nit pick too a little.

Below are a couple I tied. Notice how the front is made, with the material extending past the eyes, and the thread wraps are at the very front against the hook eye. They are not wrapped against the barbell eyes at the front of the head. This is how they're shown in Bob Clousers book, and how he ties them. Most that you'll see in catalogs are tied with the thread wrapped against the barbells or whatever type eyes are used (bead chain sometimes). This is not to say, it's wrong, but first, it takes less thread wraps to complete the fly, and second, it produces a different profile look.

Either way will catch fish, but my point here is that you can get a different look to the same fly with this one tiny detail. I don't think you can go wrong doing what the originator of the fly does either!

Here's the front cover of the book "Clouser's Flies"! Notice the head?

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM

Thanks to everyone with the help! I am new to tying and just want to check with more seasoned tiers to make sure it is done right. I did not expect so much feedback though. I appreciate all the advice and agree more work is needed. Think less is more, straight eye hook, proper materials (I'll stop being lazy and go to bps) and try using the proper tying technique. The latter usually helps I hear. Again thanks everyone for the help.
brookfieldangler likes this.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of the beautiful things about this forum. You will find super helpful people with experience to share on virtually every aspect of fly fishing. Just a couple of additional thoughts to share.

I posted the link to Bob Clouser's video so that you can see how he does it. Obviously it's a proven pattern and I did that intentionally so you can see how he does it for perspective. When I am tying a new to me pattern, I usually like to see the "traditional" way a pattern is tied. Then once I get comfortable with the pattern, I may tweak it.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different materials and techniques when you are tying flies--the Clouser or any other method. Sometimes it's those subtle tweaks you make that are all the difference in the world for the places you fish. Honestly, that's one of the coolest things about tying. I can tie patterns that I know work that you just can't find online or in a fly shop. I find this very rewarding to hand those off to people and watch them land fish, not to mention land some myself.

I've been tying for 13 years or so now and am constantly learning from the folks here, tying videos, instructional seminars, etc. There are so many layers to fly fishing, tying is one of them with so many layers itself. Stick with it and keep up the good tying!
bigjim5589 likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-05-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 AM

mcphoto is on a distinguished road

Lookin' good! Keep up the good work. I prefer to keep the Clouser a bit more sparse. Sometime I feel that less is more when it comes to patterns like the clouser in an attempt to elicit more movement.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 AM

Just got done tying a few flies up I think they look better and follow the rule "less is more".

Thanks again for all the help.
jaybo41 likes this.