The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 2 Post By il_wi_fishing
  • 4 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Craft store beading wire?

Hi - I found some spools of "beading wire" in a few colors and they look like they might work for brassies. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Craft store beading wire?

If it is small enough it should work fine, you could also use as ribbing on nymph patterns.......probably a lot cheaper than buying the wire spools from the fly tying shops.

Larry
fredaevans likes this.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

should be 28 or 32mm in thickness..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

God bless the craft stores, they are sooooo much cheaper then fly tying materials we can find. Though most of the feathers ive bought from the craft store suck, ive had great success on beads, eyes, epoxy, thread, wire, yarns, ect...

for the price its all worth a shot, post a couple photos or let us know how it works
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Okay, will do! This particular beading wire is "smooth" just like the copper wire I got from the fly shop, and it feels pretty similar. I assume it's stainless steel.

Anyway - nothing against fly shops. I buy a ton of stuff from my local (excellent) shop. This is just some cheap stuff I picked up for the heck of it.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If it's the same as the beading wire that I got, you might find that it's a bit stiff /thick diameter.
I'm as cheap as they get and for ribbing and stuff I use copper lamp cord wire almost exclusively
You'll find that it comes in a couple of diameters and one or two old cords will last a lifetime.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Hi - I found some spools of "beading wire" in a few colors and they look like they might work for brassies. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
depends on the size of the wire and/or the size of fly you are tying. some craft store wire is just too big. i would stay in the 30-36 gauge sizes

Click the image to open in full size.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have found Dollar store and craft store wire to be a bit heavy for smaller flies but it works pretty well as ribbing on larger streamers.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold

One thing to find out is if it's coated or treated in some manner to avoid rust/tarnish. Because most of this wire is designed as a "core" for beads or other findings, there isn't any concern about it coming in direct contact with the skin, so it may not be treated. If you use it for bodies (or ribbing) on flies, after they get wet, when you put them back in your box, they may rust.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I saw some of this stuff the other night. What I saw was too thick and stiff as Rip mentioned. It would be a chore to wrap it around the tight radius of a fly hook, if it's even possible.