The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wt bash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Default Matter of Perspective

Probably a simple answer to this and hopefully one of the fine tyers here can shed some light. When ribbing a fly whether it be wire , tinsel or some other material what is the best way to view the fly as your wrapping to get the best vantage point for a nicely spaced even rib? Is it looking at the top straight down at the fly or from the side? Thanks for any input in advance.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Matter of Perspective

I like a side view but on a bigger bug I'll use the rotary function holding the ribbing out to a slight angle. That way I can see it in 360.
fysh and la_jolla1 like this.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

when i tie flies i'm always looking at the side

if the rib is evenly spaced on the side it will be evenly spaced on the top (excluding the first wrap forward)

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a rotating vise any angle will work because you are spinning the fly not the wire. Without a rotating vise, I still keep my view the same as tying with anything else ( from the side) but watch as the wire comes back into view. If it needs correction to continue a uniform spiral I back up half a turn (where the wire is back on bottom) and have another go at it.

I do not consider myself a Fine Tyer though so there are probably better answers coming.

Dave
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i use a rotary vise whilst holding the rib at a fixed angle...

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I'll agree with the others that a side view is how it is done. If I am picky on spacing I will use the rotary function on my Renzetti.

I think the other two keys are to avoid twist and use even tension. Flat material like tinsel will twist when wound around a hook if you just hold it in one place and wind. I go over with my right hand and bring it back under with my left. Switching hands allows me to remove the twist.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Thank you all . I was leaning toward the side as well. When I rotate it while wrapping I tend to lose the even effect.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM

la_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of lightla_jolla1 is a glorious beacon of light

The beauty of the rotary vise, as I have just discovered