The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Guest1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How do you tie a "folded feather"?

I have become a little fascinated with streamers ever since Ard started the discussion about the Nine-Three a few months back. Those type of old-fashioned-like streamers intimidate me a little both to tie as well as to fish--probably because I am not so good at either one of those activities!

I thought I would get my feet wet tying this fly:

Classic Trout Fly Fishing: Streamers: JB Hackle

It is about as simplistic as you can get but I do not understand this step:

Wings: Large Mallard Flank Feather tied folded two times length of hook.

The way I look at the picture, it truly looks like the feather is folded in half, almost like a piece of paper. But whenever I tie it, it doesn't totally fold. It is convex (concave?) and it looks like it will float on top of the water because the feather opens up like an umbrella.

What am I doing wrong? I even tried to tie two mallard feathers together on the side of the hook but then i needed to use two small hackle feathers to look like eyes and the durn thing turned out like a bald Hornberg.

ray
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do you tie a "folded feather"?

There are several ways to fold a feather but this is the way I like to do it, very simple and effective.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:09 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

This won't play for me for some reason. I will look it up on the Internet. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

This video is talking about the folded hackle on the front, which will be really useful for the hen hackle in the front. And I think I will watch it several more times because I have problems with that, too!!

But I was asking about the mallard feather. From what I can tell, you tie it onto the top of the hook and it should fold around the hook but it just seems to lay above it like an umbrella for me...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Sorry it plays for me but yeah look it up on YouTube it should help out, I know it helped me. Good tying and let's see a picture of a finished streamer when you get to that point?
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It plays for me.

Looking at the fly in your link I think the feather is folded over with the shaft along the shank and not folded and wrapped. I may be wrong. I think you could get it to work iether way. I used to tie a fly for Trout called a Professor that has a folded wing the way I am thinking it is. Smaller section and tied upright more in a Trude kind of angle.

One trick in getting them right is how you get the first wraps of thread on. If you hold them in place with one hand, finger and thumb over the head, then holding light pressure on the feather, kind of sneak the thread into where you are pinching it. Then go over the top and sneak it into the other side. While holding pressure on the feather, slowly tighten the thread. It helps to make this wrap as far back as the head will go so subsequent wraps don't roll the wings.

I wouldn't worry about it floating the fly. Once it has been cast a few times that feather will be more hair-like and won't hold air.
Kerry Pitt and wt bash like this.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pitt View Post
Sorry it plays for me but yeah look it up on YouTube it should help out, I know it helped me. Good tying and let's see a picture of a finished streamer when you get to that point?
It plays for me outside the forum. But I have an ancient PC that is so screwed up that I cannot update any software on it anymore, so that is probably the reason.

I will try to get some pictures. I am not so good with a camera and my camera sort of stinks but I will try to get a picture up.

Quote:
One trick in getting them right is how you get the first wraps of thread on. If you hold them in place with one hand, finger and thumb over the head, then holding light pressure on the feather, kind of sneak the thread into where you are pinching it. Then go over the top and sneak it into the other side. While holding pressure on the feather, slowly tighten the thread. It helps to make this wrap as far back as the head will go so subsequent wraps don't roll the wings.

I wouldn't worry about it floating the fly. Once it has been cast a few times that feather will be more hair-like and won't hold air.
Dan,

I tried to do that. Maybe it is because I stripped it and tied it onto the hook using the quill, mostly, and tied just a little bit of the feather, um, things (whatever individual feathers are called). Maybe I need to NOT strip the feather first? I think the extra bulk will help my heads because they seem too small.

Oh, and even though it doesn't look like it, would a little Sally Hansen's on the head help? I snuck some from my wife's stash yesterday and used it for the first time on a few flies and I really like how thick and smooth and shiny the results were.

But maybe not every head should have this stuff on it. (That doesn't really sound quite right.... )
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The first few wraps should be just tight enough to hold the flank in place but too tight and the wing will flare. You can always grab the fibers of the wing and push it forward to put a bit of a crease in but I wouldn't sweat it too much give it the old Letort Stomp at the water and those fibers will slide back when being stripped through a stream.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
I tried to do that. Maybe it is because I stripped it and tied it onto the hook using the quill, mostly, and tied just a little bit of the feather, um, things (whatever individual feathers are called). Maybe I need to NOT strip the feather first? I think the extra bulk will help my heads because they seem too small.

Oh, and even though it doesn't look like it, would a little Sally Hansen's on the head help? I snuck some from my wife's stash yesterday and used it for the first time on a few flies and I really like how thick and smooth and shiny the results were.

)
Maybe strip the quill to just where the eye of the hook will go. Fold the feather right along the center shaft which should be about as thick as a barb out there.

I was thinking, you could do it like it was done in the video, and do the first wraps towards the eye of the hook. Then pull the fibers up dividing them with the hook shank and then while holding the fibers up wrap back and trap them more upright and divided and get pretty much the same effect. Try both and see which gives you the look you want.

Small heads don't hurt anything and you can always build them up with thread till they look right to you. I also use Sally Hansen's hard as nails and have for a really long time. It's the only thing I use unless it's a Pike Fly and then I use 5 min. epoxy. Resists teeth better.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. I've also been using Sally Hansen's Diamond Flash and really like that stuff too. It's ideal for nymphs and other flies like the Iron Lotus where you need to coat a thread body. It dries faster than the standard product and that keeps me more productive at the bench. Give this a shot sometime.

Sally Hansen | Diamond Flash Fast Dry Top Coat