The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By newby
  • 4 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM

jb fly is on a distinguished road
Default Chosen the right bead

How would I choose the right size bead for the I'm going to tie? I'm new to tying flies and I need help I have a lot of question and there is nobody in my area that I know that even fly fishes. I have to get my stuff off of eBay and I'm on a tight budget. I would like start tying with a size 4 hook.

Thanks for any help that is given.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chosen the right bead

Check these links out. There was recently a thread on this.

Fly Tying Sizing (mm to inches..fly size and bead size) « SwittersB & Fly Fishing

Hook Size to Bead Size | The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog

Check these guys out for hooks and beads, free shipping:

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/fly-hooks-etc/
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I'm not really sure but, I think the bead size corresponds with the diameter of the eye of the hook you are using. If the small hole end of the bead catches on the eye of the hook then it could be used. If the bead is too big the bead will slip right over the eye of the hook.
It would depend on how much weight is needed to get desired results. I'm sure some one who knows will let you know.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Matching beads to hook sizes is a pain in the neck. The web links above are helpful and if you do a search online you'll find more. I found a chart that lined up the different ways beads are measured with hook sizes and taped it onto the box where I store my beads as a quick reference. Of course the way the hook bends will affect whether or not a bead will go on a hook easily, but it's helpful to have a general guideline on hand.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:25 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
BINGO!!

Hook shape vs bead size match up has always been my 'bugaboo.'
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Thank you flytier that website is going to be a big help
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Order some beads yesterday. I hope see them within 2 weeks can't wait to try tying with them

Thanks for all the help guys