The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default The Hada's Creek Crawler

There's a Video showing this made on the Internet by Mr. Hada, but no parts list.

My searches on the Internet, show only 1 actual parts list, and I don't know how accurate it is. It comes from some Fly Fishing Website down in Georgia, and I just couldn't find any others anywhere.

Could someone advise on the parts, and possible substitutions?

I think I need to tie an Olive variant for Colorado.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hada's Creek Crawler Crayfish

Hook: TMC 5262 #4
(I think... It was my last one and was not in it's original package)
Weight: Hour Glass(Black) and .020 lead
Thread: Brown 6/0 Waxed
Under body: Chenille(Just for added bulk)
Antenae: Brown grizzly marabou and pumkinseed rubber legs
Eye: Plastic dumbell
Shell: Tan raffia(Colored with sharpies)
Craws: Speckled saddle hen
Legs: Rubber legs
Body: Whitlock's Dubbing blend #2 (Stonefly Gills)
Ribbing: 4lb Mono (Original pattern uses Red BR wire)
*Tail is optoinal you can cut it off just behind the eye.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Hada's Creek Crawler

Bruce: I didn't turn up much more than you did, I found the video and the forum that listed out the recipe but not sure how accurate that actually is.
I did find Duane Hada's web site, your best bet might be to just give him a call 870-435-arts or if you live near Cotter, Arkansas just stop by his shop and ask. I'm thinking that if he was generous enough to do the fly tying video he wouldn't mind clarifying the materials list for you. I also agree with you that an olive pattern would work well in CO.
White River Trout Fishing, Smallmouth Bass Fishing in Crooked Creek and Buffalo River, Duane Hada's Flyfishing Guide Service and Instruction, Cotter, Arkansas

I snagged this guy over on Delaney Buttes one summer, if you look closely you can see my midge pattern stuck on the right side. I was fishing a double midge rig under an indicator when I get this extremely hard strike, the fish immediately dives for the weeds on the bottom, breaks me off the bottom fly in the weeds and when I pull up whats left this guy is impaled on my top fly.
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
brucerducer likes this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-07-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mcnerny:

That picture you showed of the Crayfish was exactly the coloration I had in mind, I have it so clearly imprinted in my memory.

It is a Dark Green, and sometimes I think it has highlights of a lighter green sometimes. Dunno about that. Would you do it all natural color?

I suppose I will give Mr. Hada a Call. I've been thinking about a float or drift down the White River in Arkansas for the past year. This might be just the excuse I need.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Thanks Mcnerny:

That picture you showed of the Crayfish was exactly the coloration I had in mind, I have it so clearly imprinted in my memory.

It is a Dark Green, and sometimes I think it has highlights of a lighter green sometimes. Dunno about that. Would you do it all natural color?

I suppose I will give Mr. Hada a Call. I've been thinking about a float or drift down the White River in Arkansas for the past year. This might be just the excuse I need.
Bruce: I guess it depends on the time of year, I have heard that they molt into a rusty color at certain times, but not positive. I do like the idea of using a dark olive color with some lighter highlights.....be sure to post up your fly when you finally get around to tying some up.....it will be cool to see how it comes out.

I envy you about a float on the White River and might be a great way to meet Mr. Hada first hand. A White River fishing trip is on my to-do list for sure, but I've only been in Pinedale for a year and there is a lot of water around here that needs exploring.

Larry