The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Foam for shiny, green beetles

Hey, anyone have a tip for making that shiny, great-looking emerald green beetle foam? Do you just glue something on top of a sheet of green foam?

Those beetles kill bluegill around here, and nearly anywhere in this region I'd have to imagine .

Thanks --
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Foam for shiny, green beetles

Not sure about making it at home, but many shops carry a product that's called Loco Foam- foam with a metallic or pearlescent coating on one side.

Here's one example: Loco Foam | mudhole.com

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Peacock herl is a great body material with that iridescent sheen, but not so good for wings or backs. I did just see a new material in the shop that is a thin-skin type of sheet, it is not rubber or foam, almost like a very thin, crinkly mylar paper. It comes in different colors but has that iridescent quality. You could fold it over peacock or foam or whatever. I don't remember what it was called though.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiii View Post
Not sure about making it at home, but many shops carry a product that's called Loco Foam- foam with a metallic or pearlescent coating on one side.

Here's one example: Loco Foam | mudhole.com

Good luck!
It might have been one of the Loco products. I'd try some wide pearl mylar first, it's a lot cheaper and it is great looking stuff. It comes on spools in a variety of widths, I love it for ribs and tags and under bodies. What makes the pearl so versatile is that it reflects the color under it, so you can a lot of color effects out of it with different materials under it.

And it comes in a 1" strip too.

Rainy's Pearlesent Wing Material | mudhole.com
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Deleted pst
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

turbineblade: Silver is probably correct about the fish not seeing the top of the fly anyway, but I guess this probably falls in the category of catching the fisherman more than the fish. LOL!
I like to tie foam beetles using the loco foam called "Oil Slick", Joni turned me on to that material a couple years ago. The way I fish ants and beetles is in a dry/dropper arrangement where I use a large parachute adams as the lead fly with an ant or beetle as a dropper, that way I can at least see one of the flies (normally all I see is the parachute adams), but I find that the strikes are about 50/50 and can make for a really fun afternoon fishing.
In the middle row of this photo are foam beetles tied with the Oil Slick foam.
Click the image to open in full size.

Larry
littledavid123 likes this.

Larry
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough

There's another product out there...I believe it's called Medallion sheeting- basically pearlescent mylar film dyed to all sorts of colors. You may be able to glue it to a craft foam backing with some Super 77/spray adhesive, although I'm not sure whether it'd be cheaper than Loco Foam.

You may want to check some craft stores too, they may have some sort of mylar film as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Is it 100% true that fish don't see anything other than the very bottom of the fly? Nearly every pattern I see with stuff sticking all over it would be useless if that's the case -- adding deer hair to the "back" of a hopper or cicada for example.

I just looked at the ones I bought from a local tyer, and some of the shiny green side peeks through the bottom of the beetle, so perhaps that serves as an attractant?

I dunno -- I'll definitely take your advice on it -- I'm a new tyer and fly fisherman .

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Is it 100% true that fish don't see anything other than the very bottom of the fly? Nearly every pattern I see with stuff sticking all over it would be useless if that's the case -- adding deer hair to the "back" of a hopper or cicada for example.

I just looked at the ones I bought from a local tyer, and some of the shiny green side peeks through the bottom of the beetle, so perhaps that serves as an attractant?

I dunno -- I'll definitely take your advice on it -- I'm a new tyer and fly fisherman .

Thanks,
One thing you have to consider with flies like beetles and ants is that they probably don't always land perfectly right side up on every cast and they are so small I can't see them anyway and it probably doesn't really matter all that much. One thing I have never liked about certain fly patterns is that they don't always land or float right side up, but rather floating on their sides. That is why I like the x-caddis pattern over the elk hair caddis pattern. If you have a fly where the shiny material peeks through to the bottom it would certainly act as an attractant.

Larry

Larry
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Okay, thanks Larry. I fish about 90% of the time for warmwater fish, but I occasionally fish for trout and thus and trying to learn some trout patterns....including the elk hair caddis soon. I'll take your advice and look into the X pattern you mentioned.

Those oil slick beetles look cool!

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post

Thanks,
Hi turbinblade,

I deleted my original post. I didn't want to be over critical.

Regarding the deer hair on a hopper pattern, most of these patterns have the deer hair splayed so that it overhangs the side and sometimes the back of the pattern. In this case, the fish does see the hair. Not only does the fish see the hair, but the splayed hair can simulate the fluttering of the hopper's wings. So I am a believer that deer hair or elk hair helps simulate the real thing.

You did say that some of the purchased beetle patterns do show the shinny coating from the bottom, if so, I think it would help some. For my patterns, I use crystal chenille. For the floating beetle, a black foam shell then goes over that and I also use rubber legs for a little motion.

I sometimes add glass bead head, the color is "kaleidescope", which is a bead that reflects multiple colors.

I tie both a dry and a drowned beetle pattern. They are below. The shell of the drowned beetle is black naugahyde. Both patterns have the glass bead head, with the drowned beetle on the left and the floating pattern on the right.

Here is the underside.

Overexposed to show the crystal flash chenille

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy