The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   EP Brush alternatives (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/307367-ep-brush-alternatives.html)

brookfieldangler 01-08-2013 11:57 AM

EP Brush alternatives

As much as I love the EP brush, are there other options/makers of a similar product?

fishingfly 01-12-2013 09:51 PM

Re: EP Brush alternatives

I'm not sure about an alternative, but I have seen people make them using the dubbing method except using metal instead of thread. Here is a video of somebody doing it. I have also seen it done without the electric devise as well. Anyway, here it is:

woodrivertroutbum 01-12-2013 11:08 PM

I will second making them. Easy and cheap to make. There was a thread about the jigs to make them either here or one of the tying forums. I will see if I can dig it up tomorrow. Summer 2007 issue of fly tyer has the plans for a jig if you can hunt one down.

Rip Tide 01-13-2013 09:06 AM

Not quite the same but there's this stuff called eyelash yarn that you can find at most craft stores. It's pretty popular for warm water flies

http://www.planetjune.com/blog/tut_i...mi_round01.jpg

mcnerney 01-13-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum (Post 515642)
I will second making them. Easy and cheap to make. There was a thread about the jigs to make them either here or one of the tying forums. I will see if I can dig it up tomorrow. Summer 2007 issue of fly tyer has the plans for a jig if you can hunt one down.

Yes, I remember that, I was going to make one for myself and then saw a video on how to make them using the Norvise, so I bought a Norvise at a CFR auction a couple years ago.

woodrivertroutbum 01-13-2013 12:54 PM

Larry, you know they have a table for the nor vise to help make them right? I have been considering getting a nor, there is a used one for sale at my local shop but I just don't know if I would use the features enough :-/ I know I would use it for dubbing loops and spinning extended bodies but I don't know if I want to change my tying style to work with the nor vise. I barely use the rotary function on my D-K, that might change if I buy automatic bobbins, i'm not sure.

Sorry for getting off topic, carry on!

Edit* I just noticed they show the table in the video, sorry!

mcnerney 01-13-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum (Post 515788)
Larry, you know they have a table for the nor vise to help make them right? I have been considering getting a nor, there is a used one for sale at my local shop but I just don't know if I would use the features enough :-/ I know I would use it for dubbing loops and spinning extended bodies but I don't know if I want to change my tying style to work with the nor vise. I barely use the rotary function on my D-K, that might change if I buy automatic bobbins, i'm not sure.

Sorry for getting off topic, carry on!

Edit* I just noticed they show the table in the video, sorry!

Yes, I bought the table soon after getting the Norvise. I hear what you are saying about switching. I primarily use my Peak vise for tying, I like the rotary function for trimming material, don't use it too much for anything else unless I'm doing buggers. I sure like the Norvise for making dubbing brushes. I think it would be much easier to adopt to the Norrvise style of tying as a beginner, but after tying for so many years, habits are hard to break.