The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default EP Brush alternatives

As much as I love the EP brush, are there other options/makers of a similar product?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM

fishingfly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: EP Brush alternatives

I'm not sure about an alternative, but I have seen people make them using the dubbing method except using metal instead of thread. Here is a video of somebody doing it. I have also seen it done without the electric devise as well. Anyway, here it is:

Make sure to like our facebook page for a chance to win free flies!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I will second making them. Easy and cheap to make. There was a thread about the jigs to make them either here or one of the tying forums. I will see if I can dig it up tomorrow. Summer 2007 issue of fly tyer has the plans for a jig if you can hunt one down.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite the same but there's this stuff called eyelash yarn that you can find at most craft stores. It's pretty popular for warm water flies

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
I will second making them. Easy and cheap to make. There was a thread about the jigs to make them either here or one of the tying forums. I will see if I can dig it up tomorrow. Summer 2007 issue of fly tyer has the plans for a jig if you can hunt one down.
Yes, I remember that, I was going to make one for myself and then saw a video on how to make them using the Norvise, so I bought a Norvise at a CFR auction a couple years ago.

woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Larry, you know they have a table for the nor vise to help make them right? I have been considering getting a nor, there is a used one for sale at my local shop but I just don't know if I would use the features enough :-/ I know I would use it for dubbing loops and spinning extended bodies but I don't know if I want to change my tying style to work with the nor vise. I barely use the rotary function on my D-K, that might change if I buy automatic bobbins, i'm not sure.

Sorry for getting off topic, carry on!

Edit* I just noticed they show the table in the video, sorry!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Larry, you know they have a table for the nor vise to help make them right? I have been considering getting a nor, there is a used one for sale at my local shop but I just don't know if I would use the features enough :-/ I know I would use it for dubbing loops and spinning extended bodies but I don't know if I want to change my tying style to work with the nor vise. I barely use the rotary function on my D-K, that might change if I buy automatic bobbins, i'm not sure.

Sorry for getting off topic, carry on!

Edit* I just noticed they show the table in the video, sorry!
Yes, I bought the table soon after getting the Norvise. I hear what you are saying about switching. I primarily use my Peak vise for tying, I like the rotary function for trimming material, don't use it too much for anything else unless I'm doing buggers. I sure like the Norvise for making dubbing brushes. I think it would be much easier to adopt to the Norrvise style of tying as a beginner, but after tying for so many years, habits are hard to break.