The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default The Common Household Materials

I wanted to mention a product of genuine interest, especially for the construction of streamers.

Your typical Box Store will have it in the Hair or "Make Up" departments, and the Hobby Shops carry it sometimes as well.

It is called "Clip In Highlights" or "Clip In Hair Extension," Model # 701, by the company named "STYLE STUDIO," and it is a material, probably acrylic fiber, which young ladies braid into their hair. It is often brightly colored, Pink, etc; but there is a specific package in a Barred Pattern, and a Dark Green.
This particular color and patter goes by the designation: "Green Zebra".

If I had to tell you what it reminds a fisherman of, I would say it reminds one of a "Perch" coloring, absent anything Yellow.

The listed retail price is 3.99 / package and my guess is it would serve to make well over a dozen streamers.

It is slightly shiny with the barred and green sequences each about 1/4" inch wide and the entire thing is over 12" long.

It will make a most excellent streamer material, if not indeed, other things also.

---------

Also I went to my local fly shop today and they had no "Raffia". So I went to the grocery store and got for just a few dollars, from the Mexican food section, a huge package of
"Corn Husks" used for wrapping the Tamales. I am thinking of using Diver Dan's "Kool Aid" dying formula for coloring and shading these.
I wonder if I can coat them, after they have the shade I want, with something waterproof. Polyurethane? Scotchguard? Clear Acrylic Spray?
Once they are formed into a Crayfish "carapace" or shell, and the epoxy added, they should be useable for awhile.

The hobby stores have a department where they sell "dried flowers" & "dried leaves" and artificial products of all kinds.
It is a place where all kinds of Wedding Materials are offered.
When first walking through it, you might think that there is absolutely nothing there of interest. It looks all "girly" and such like.
Closer inspection into certain displays however, might surprise as to what you could do with some of the stuff.

littledavid123 likes this.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Common Household Materials

I would be very careful as you may find yourself on a slippery slope that leads to fishing with a can of corn...

If it holds up, you may well be on to something.

Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

My two old Doggies (Husky passed on 4 October) Sandy, the Yellow Lab is still going 'strong,' but 10. Fur for dubbing? How much do you want after a good beach brushing?

That's Huskers in my photo. Anyone sat down on the beach and he was your instant companion ... especially if he thought you might have 'treats.' Ditto Sandy.

Sitting, a rest stop, and a cold wet nose against your ear followed up by a wet tongue. Newbies on the beach would get, how shall I say?, annoyed? Other fishermen soon set them straight. Best put down I ever heard was "Husky was on this beach when you were still sucking on your Mama's teet."
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I wanted to mention a product of genuine interest, especially for the construction of streamers.

Your typical Box Store will have it in the Hair or "Make Up" departments, and the Hobby Shops carry it sometimes as well.

It is called "Clip In Highlights" or "Clip In Hair Extension," Model # 701, by the company named "STYLE STUDIO," and it is a material, probably acrylic fiber, which young ladies braid into their hair. It is often brightly colored, Pink, etc; but there is a specific package in a Barred Pattern, and a Dark Green.
This particular color and patter goes by the designation: "Green Zebra".

If I had to tell you what it reminds a fisherman of, I would say it reminds one of a "Perch" coloring, absent anything Yellow.

The listed retail price is 3.99 / package and my guess is it would serve to make well over a dozen streamers.

It is slightly shiny with the barred and green sequences each about 1/4" inch wide and the entire thing is over 12" long.

It will make a most excellent streamer material, if not indeed, other things also.
If you want to get real adventurous, you can get these in bulk, direct from China. I've seen them listed on Ebay, where you can get various amounts, in various colors with the barring and rather cheap. There are several sellers, most originating in China, that sell them, and most likely any you see in the local stores probably are being imported from China as well.

I've given it some thought, but............!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what kind of household yours is, but clip in extensions are not part of mine. LOL
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
My two old Doggies (Husky passed on 4 October) Sandy, the Yellow Lab is still going 'strong,' but 10. Fur for dubbing? How much do you want after a good beach brushing?

That's Huskers in my photo. Anyone sat down on the beach and he was your instant companion ... especially if he thought you might have 'treats.' Ditto Sandy.

Sitting, a rest stop, and a cold wet nose against your ear followed up by a wet tongue. Newbies on the beach would get, how shall I say?, annoyed? Other fishermen soon set them straight. Best put down I ever heard was "Husky was on this beach when you were still sucking on your Mama's teet."
Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I know how strong those feelings can be.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Another product which can benefit the fly tier may be "Craft Fur".

This comes in a 9" x 12" patch for $2.99

I found 2 colors of interest:

(a) a straw color (b) a tan with streaks of black fiber.

The backing is a 100% Polyester. The "fur" itself is 60% Acrylic, and and 40% "Modacrylic" though I don't know what the "Modacrylic" is exactly.

This could be used in a Sculpin Pattern, etc. These could also suffice for Dubbing.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Fred: Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog Husky! It's always pretty tough when you loose a dog, they definitely become part of the family. About a month ago my girlfriend had to put her dog down, he was 13 and had a bad case of liver cancer and had gone blind.

Brushing out the horses gives me a good supply of dubbing material in a variety of colors, especially in the spring when they start shedding that winter coat. My son has a yellow lab that always seems to be shedding so I get light colored dubbing from him when I pay a visit.

Last weekend we went to dinner with a couple that manage a buffalo ranch, I'm wanting to get out there sometime to see what fur I can scrounge off the fencing.

Larry

Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Another product which can benefit the fly tier may be "Craft Fur".

This comes in a 9" x 12" patch for $2.99

I found 2 colors of interest:

(a) a straw color (b) a tan with streaks of black fiber.

The backing is a 100% Polyester. The "fur" itself is 60% Acrylic, and and 40% "Modacrylic" though I don't know what the "Modacrylic" is exactly.

This could be used in a Sculpin Pattern, etc. These could also suffice for Dubbing.

Also great for shrimp patterns like the Borksi!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

i had a couple of cats, and i would find a whisker here and there. i ended up saving them in a baggie. i had around 20 or so. they were bright white. but i figured i could color them with a sharpie. i had intended on using them for nymph legs or hoppers but never go to it. lost the bag in a move.