The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question on UV fly finish

If you want a cheap UV light, go to your local Ace Hardware store and get one from the flashlight section at the checkout counter. paid 15 bucks for mine. The CCG gets nice and hard right quick with it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

From the Solarez web site:

"Apply all UV curable products in full shade or indoors, flash with
Solarez UV Flashlight for 30 secs, continue working on fly. To
completely cure resin, expose to sunlight or use flashlight for about 3 minutes."

Solarez Fly-tie UV Resins

Way too long for my use.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-28-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

3 minutes with the light? The momey you save on a cheap light and cheap product will quickly will be lost and then some on the cost of batteries.

The new CCG light takes Lith-ion batteries. The light is more expensive and the batteries are more than AA batteries, but they are 3 times as efficient. This means in time, you will make your money back.

With that said, you can probably get that light that takes the same battery cheaper as well. They are a cool company and I like the color blue so I don't mind spending a little more. Besides that, I can buy it at a fly shop and help support them.
stl_geoff likes this.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Way too long for my use.
you could cure one fly in that aluminum foil lined box that you post about on the forums while you tie the next fly

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-tying...-uv-resin.html post #6

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-tying...k-resin-3.html post #21

or the fingernail curing lights

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-tying...nd-help-2.html post #18

you also advocate the sun as a curing light. put the newly tied fly in the aluminum foiled box and put it in the sun to fully cure while tying more flies

i guess i really dont understand all of the fuss about the curing times. if anybody using the uv resins needs to fish the flies hot off the vise, its not the curing time thats the issue its the poor planning on your part for waiting to tie your flies and having them ready to fish.

oh and remember the sun is free and will outlast any battery out there on the market

(i've been to carrs rod and gun shop and dont recall seeing uv resins there)

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 01-29-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

One of the main reasons I use uv acrylics is because it doesn't need time to cure like epoxies do. Part of why I pay extra is for the ease of use and convenience. Sure the stuff is expensive but it goes a fairly long way even when tying stuff like surf candies, let alone trout flies.

If something works for you that is awesome and you are lucky to save money. For me, it just wouldn't be practical.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

whatever floats your boat!

money in my pocket is always better than someone elses pocket.

just trying to show there a more than just ONE way to do things in fly tying. you can spend a lot of money on resins or you dont have to if you simply want to try resins. its about options.

yes i use the expensive stuff on the poppers it make.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 01-29-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 AM

Absolutely, I agree 100%.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I was looking at some cheap UV lights on Amazon.. does it matter what wavelength the light is rated for... for clearing Clear-Goo?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I can't remember the wave length... But this is the exact one I bought... Works with ccg

ted4887 likes this.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I can't remember the wave length... But this is the exact one I bought... Works with ccg
Perfect..thanks.. $5 shipped. hard to go wring.. got one ordered