The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 AM

slicedog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question on UV fly finish

Dhayden, I bought the five dollar one from amazon as well. I must say the CCG tack free formula for me does not get hard enough. Maybe it is the cheap light, not sure. All i know is that the CCG on my copper johns peel off pretty easily. The CCG aqua works decent with it though.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I blast my flies for like 30sec with the $5 light. No issues.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:39 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
I blast my flies for like 30sec with the $5 light. No issues.
Are you using the thick, thin, flexible or getting the same results with all three? Reason I ask is that CCG promotional literature indicates the thin version can remain tacky.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

That light works really well.. not made that great, but $5 delivered... Nice.

I'm using ccg tack free - seems to work fine..

Like to get one that's a little thicker
Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Well after all the Christmas nightmare of gift returns is done I have a little credit at Amazon. Going to blow $13.40 on Ultrafire Wf-501b G60 Uv 3w Ultraviolet LED Flashlight Torch .

Have some Loon UV knot sense, but will pick up some other UV resin at the fly show this weekend to try
craigthor likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 01-08-2014, 02:41 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I see references to silvercreeks UV .. anyone have a link?
Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
I see references to silvercreeks UV .. anyone have a link?
Here are discussions on UV resin including mine.

Best non-tacky resin?? | Washington Fly Fishing

UV Head Cement, Is it worth it? | Washington Fly Fishing

Epoxy | Washington Fly Fishing

GOO - Beginner's Corner - Fly Tying

Alternatives for using expoxy/resin in our flies - The Fly Tying Bench - Fly Tying

Gary Borger Blog Archive Crystal UV Coat

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I have noticed with my cheapo light that I have to leave it on the CCG longer to cure it to its proper finish. I also noticed my cure time goes up as the batteries wear, but this is a cheapo light, the UV LEDs will flicker if I shake it hard enough.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

These are UV emitting LEDs. They will emit at a lower light output as the battery voltage drops. If you were to put identical flashlights with fresh batteries and one with old batteries next to each other you can see the difference. But since they dim gradually, you do not notice the decrease in output, you notice the difference in time.

You will need to replace the batteries as cure time increases.

Since your flashlight is flickering, it has either a bad switch or battery contacts. I guess one or more negative pole battery spring is weak.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-08-2014, 05:48 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did a demo at my local fly shop last weekend and my friend let me use his UV laser pointer to cure my Clear Cure Goo. What a difference it made from my cheapo light I bought at Ace. While the Ace light did the job, as the batteries wore, the longer it took to cure. With the laser light it took seconds and there was no residue or anything.

Now, the website does not list this as UV, but the specs show it as 405nm which falls within the UV range from what I understand. All I know is that it worked extremely well and very fast. I just ordered two of them this week. They are only $7.64 each with free shipping.

Here is the link: USD $ 7.64 - Single Blue Laser Pointer Pen (Include 2 AAA batteries), Free Shipping On All Gadgets!

Kelly.