The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Question on UV fly finish

Can you get it anywhere else like a hardware store or what not? it seems too expensive from the fly shops with the big name brands... Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Question on UV fly finish

Nail salons use UV acrylic for doing nails. It could be the same stuff or it might not, I couldn't tell you. For me, the name brands, CCG, Bug Bond, Deer Creek etc. are worth the price. For me anyways, I get more moneys worth out of those than I do with 2 part epoxies because the 2 parts usually harden in the tubes on me after I use them once or twice. The ease of application is worth the cost to me as well.

One other thing, a friend of mine in the UK has tried the nail salon stuff, I am not sure if he has fished with the flies after so I don't know how it holds up BUT, he did say it STINKS. To me, it wouldn't be worth breathing in the smell of chemicals like that, the CCG I use has no scent at all.
jaybo41 and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you're talking about the UV resins as opposed to UV reflective tying materials I'd agree, the X minute epoxy sucks because you kind of only get one shot to mix it and then apply it before the consistency goes to the pot. I recently settled on Bug Bond Lite and I'm very pleased so far. Expensive, yes, but worth it to me. I've tried a couple different things that didn't work the way I wanted them to. Dab a little on the fly, then add a top coat of Sally Hansens and I'm done.

Then there is this stuff

Video: Spectrum Response UV Spray | MidCurrent
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-08-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
Can you get it anywhere else like a hardware store or what not? it seems too expensive from the fly shops with the big name brands... Thanks
GOOGLE "solarez" for some cheap uv resin

i dont think that spray is in the same category as the resins

from angling trade magazine

Squirt it on a fly, and it causes the treated materials of that fly to absorb radiation in the ultraviolet region of the electromagnetic spectrum, and re-emit light in the ultraviolet regions of the spectrum. Fish see the fly better, so they eat the fly better.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct, the link I posted to the spray is totally different than UV Resin. It wasn't 100% clear in the original post so I wasn't sure which we're discussing though I believe it to be the resin.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

One of the other issues I have had with 2 part epoxy is yellowing. That alone is is enough reason for me not to want to use it. Not to mention all of the other draw backs.

Clear Cure Goo (I only keep mentioning this brand becuase it is all I have used so far, I do plan on trying the others so I can compare them) is about 3x as much as the 2 part I used to use. It is WAY more convenient, cleaner, no smell, no yellowing, easier to apply, easier to store, you can add it in layers, you can use it for one fly at a time instead of having to mix a batch of epoxy and rushing to get a group of flies done, no fly turner is needed, if you ever tie on the road or at hotels for example all you need is your uv resin and your light instead of mixing cups, ways to stir the mixture and your fly turner. Also, easier to get bubble free results. After using the stuff, I wouldn't tie another fly that called for epoxy if I didn't have my uv cured stuff. Hands down one of my favorite tying "tools".
Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 AM

blair_k is on a distinguished road

Hi I've been spending more time at this computer than tying.Just on sassimall.com.Has anybody used there uv gel,nail glue or acrylic liquid?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

if anybody wants to try a uv resin go to the solarez website and buy a tube for about $4. they have 3 different vicosities to choose from

then go to the big auction website that starts with an E and search for uv curing lights and you will find some from $3 and up

or search on the big auction website that starts with an E for lina uv topcoat. i think it goes for $3-4 per bottle. yes its shipped from somewhere in asia but i think it only took a week to get it. if you cant wait for it to arrive, uv nail products can be purchased at your local big box store starting with a W or the store that has a red bullseye or maybe the $1 store

use the light for a preliminary cure and then set your fly out in sunlight for about 1/2 hour for a complete cure. the sun is the ultimate uv curing light and most likely a bazillion times more powerful than a uv flashlight! (and thats a lot of power)

if the uv resin is still tacky, wipe with an alcohol wipe or overcoat with sally hansens hard as nails fingernail polish or equivalent.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I held off on Clear Cure Goo for the longest time because of the price... But 2 part epoxies are nothing but a p.i.t.a... After doing what the above poster mentioned about buying a cheaper uv curing light off the auction site... the Goo itself is not that too expensive in my mind... the $40 light was the ridiculous part... So far CCG is the only brand I have used.. I love this stuff... And don't feel as if it was "too expensive"..
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Setting it out in the sun seems like a hassle. I would hate to let bad weather or night time put a damper on my tying, especially if I am fishing the next day.

One of the benefits to CCG is the fact that it is hard to the touch but it actually has some give to it. This means if you hit a rock, it is less likely to ruin the fly. I say for certain that it works exactly that way. Other companies may do that as well but I have never seen it advertised by them.