The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Source of stiff (SW?) krystal flash?

Hey, anyone know where I can get some more "stiff" krystal flash material?

I googled it and got confused by the number of options.

I'm looking for the flash that sometimes was/is called SW krystal flash versus the more soft stuff I have.

Thanks! As always!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Source of stiff (SW?) krystal flash?

TurbineBlade:

Hi: Good question. I'm not sure about a "stiff"; but I think that these products fall into the general classification of Mylar.

The hobby stores have it in several forms for cheap, under the name
"Gift Shred" in many different colors. I've even seen an even dirt cheaper form in the Dollar Stores, but only in the Pearlescent or "Opaline" color.

When you write "stiff" I think you must be referring to a thicker form?

I found out that Mylar, in sheets, is becoming rare, because there are health issues with its production, so the costs are going up. I am not sure exactly if Mylar is the only product that approximates a KrystalFlash, but perhaps someone else can share their knowledge and benefit us both.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

krinkle stuff is what you're after still floppy, but not flacid.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-08-2013, 04:52 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Bearsden, they've got a ton of flash materials. You might want to give them a call to discuss it.

The Lateral Scale material is slightly more rigid than some of the Krystal Flash I've seen. Slight being the operative word.