The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Copying a Fly

This is a question that I've pondered every once in awhile, but don't know the answer. If I buy an apparent unpublished fly that I like can I just reproduce at will for my own use. That said I've always been one to give the original tier all of the credit for developing a fly.
Example: I just bought a hot wire stonefly so that I could copy it. I've searched online for the pattern with no success. Bad; OK; no bigee; somewhere in between to copy it.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:43 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Copying a Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
This is a question that I've pondered every once in awhile, but don't know the answer. If I buy an apparent unpublished fly that I like can I just reproduce at will for my own use.
Yes

Quote:
That said I've always been one to give the original tier all of the credit for developing a fly.
You are correct in doing so.

Quote:
Example: I just bought a hot wire stonefly so that I could copy it. I've searched online for the pattern with no success. Bad; OK; no bigee; somewhere in between to copy it.
You are correct: no biggee.

MP
Old 07-25-2010, 02:09 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Jimmie it is very common that comercial tyers that have devaloped (most even have tying consultants) a fly wont release the method of tying or the recipie (with out a fee), this is so their competetors cant copy it easily (there is no copy right for flies). even if companys copy it they normaly change the name for their firm so you think it is their pattern.

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If I buy an apparent unpublished fly that I like can I just reproduce at will for my own use.
Jimmie,

Yes, you can. It's done all the time; all over the world.

Pocono
Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jimmie,

It looks like the guys have answered your question. If it weren't for copying streamer patterns I would never have learned to make them like the masters of the days gone by had done it. All but one of my flies are based on some other similar style of tie. Even My original creation shares painted wings with an ancestor from the 1930's. So tie away my friend there are boundaries.

PS. I just finished copying a few more Skykomish Sunrise on a #2 hook and got away with it clean.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 07-25-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks you guys. Really appreciate your advice. OK time to tie away. May even post this stonefly after the materials get here.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

AH yes copyright issues. To tell you the trueth, open up Cabelas or BassPro Shop, or any other BIG on-line ordering site and take a look. what you will find is how many flies get coppied and renamed. Clouser Minnow I've seen redone and renamed atleast 3 times even though the shape and look are the same the mats are not. I myself at this point in time could actually make a copy of the Clouser minnow but since Im adding a little extra stuffs and Im NOT using animal hair I could get by any sort of copyright issues if I was to reproduce it for retail (but Im NOT). Along with that, if you were to take 2 flies and merge them due to whatever reason (yes ive done this) you would have no link to the original flies. Thats just how this works...kinda crazzy i know but think of generic. Also since you are building the fly with your mats you picked up from a store, you in fact are buying into a copyright in a way. But what would get a little sticky is if you picked up a ton of flies from a fly shop say down in Colorado then came up to Washington and tired to resell them in a store. So their isn't anything to fear that your building flies for your own use. And if the Gov is going to come get you for that I think a lot of us are going to be sitting right along with you