The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM

fly5 is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for a fly tying light

I am new at fly tying,can anyone suggest a desk top style light.The room I will be using has no ceiling light. I understand a decent light is very important. Any input will be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM

jtliving is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for a fly tying light

I'm brand new too at tying. Just today I went to Ikea and picked up a little LED desk lamp with about a 20" flexible neck. It seems to put out a nice light and it is unobtrusive. It cost all of ten bucks.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I use an Ott floor lamp, my wife was a quilter and they all seem to love the Ott lights for the quality of light they produce.

Larry

Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Wally World special LED lamp with flexible neck just like jt mentioned. I have it sitting on a shelf and extending out towards the location of my vise. On my desk I also have a regular table lamp with some sort of daylight bulb if I really need some extra light. More often than not, I use that when I need to pull out drawers and root through tying materials. That works plenty good enough for me.

I've heard lots of folks using the Ott light. Those craft stores like Michael's often have coupons or sales on them.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I was at staples before christmas to grab my brothers gift when I came across the light I now use. It uses the same 13w full spectrum bulbs that the expensive lights use and is only $30. It is fully adjustable and is more than high enough to give plenty of room above your vise. I will look for a link for it ao you can check it out.

Edit* Here you go.
http://www.staples.com/Tensor-Black-...product_560633

Last edited by woodrivertroutbum; 01-10-2013 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

In retrospect I wish I had gone to a magnifying lense/light combo when I was in my 20's. They are not that expensive and will relieve eye strain and make you a better tyer. My 2 cents worth but if I had it to do again I would do it earlier.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I'm 39 and wear reading glasses. I started tying flies earlier this year and one of best purchases I made was the McKenzie light/magnifier. It's VERY bright and the stems/necks are strong and flexible. Makes for moving the light and magnifier into any position (and stays there) a cinch.

Somethings I don't like about it:

1. It attaches to the post of standard vise. Doesn't have its own stand. It frees up table top space but when moving the vise from room to room it makes for a lot to carry.

2. It's a little funky in that it has no on off switch, simply plug in the adapter and it's on. So, I use a power strip with an on off switch.

They sell it just as a light. It's on sale right now :

Cabela's: McKenzie Fly-Tying Vise Bright Lights

Happy tying!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

I am also a new to tying and my eyes are getting pretty darn bad, too. I am also sort of cheap.

So I purchased this from Ikea. I drilled a hole in the arm of my tying desk and screwed it into there instead of the base. The light is really bright and I can point it in 1,000 different directions.

LAGRA Work lamp - IKEA

Works for me...your mileage may very.

ray
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

Just got this for Christmas. It's a little pricey but I love it.

Pro Lite FTL100 Fly Tyers Lamp

It's nice because of the beam it emits and never gets hot. I've had other cheaper bendable neck craft lights that if you bumped your arm against, it would cook your skin like bacon in a skillet.

If you're serious about tying, this is the light to own.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

i use a couple of lights shown below. they are about $25 at the big box orange hardware store. they have the same daylight bulb as the ott light at a fraction of the cost

i find led lights to be too bluish in color and halogen to hot to sit under. but that's just me!

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/