The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Help identify the parts for A. P. Variant Green

Stillwater Sweeties – Fly Fishing and Tying Nonsense | Fly Tying Tutorials | Fly Obsession

The first picture shows the "A. P. Variant Green".

Can someone identify the specific parts that this is probably tied with.

Especially the hackle coming off of the head?

I looked on the Internet for "A. P. Emerger" and so forth, but they all look a little bit different, and I like this version a lot.

I found a website which shows that the "A.P." stands for "All Purpose"

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Help identify the parts for A. P. Variant Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Stillwater Sweeties – Fly Fishing and Tying Nonsense | Fly Tying Tutorials | Fly Obsession

The first picture shows the "A. P. Variant Green".

Can someone identify the specific parts that this is probably tied with.

Especially the hackle coming off of the head?

I looked on the Internet for "A. P. Emerger" and so forth, but they all look a little bit different, and I like this version a lot.

I found a website which shows that the "A.P." stands for "All Purpose"

I wish I could help with the materials id....but man, that AP Green Variant is one sweet looking fly.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

looks to me like olive, and natural color (grays) hen hacke with rainbow or pearl flash for the tail.
body seems to be synthetic, olive ice dub or similar mix of olive dubbing and synthetic flash dubbing
wing is teal
hackle is olive hen

Just message the blog author and ask for the materials list
jaybo41, lthrnk03 and brucerducer like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Think the body was made of material like this: Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

You can get this stuff in pretty wide material in a dozen colours. Popular for bodies for Steelhead flies.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Fred, I think Eunan nailed it, body dubbing-wise. Olive Ice Dubbing. I use it on my fav large soft hackle:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Gary
s fontinalis likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:19 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Yeah, I'd say dyed olive grizzly hen hackle. That tail is pretty crazy, it almost looks like there is natural hair under all that flash...hare's ear guards or squirrel?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
I wish I could help with the materials id....but man, that AP Green Variant is one sweet looking fly.
Yeah! I saw it for the first time and fell in love with it right off.

I thought; "I gotta tie that!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
looks to me like olive, and natural color (grays) hen hacke with rainbow or pearl flash for the tail.
body seems to be synthetic, olive ice dub or similar mix of olive dubbing and synthetic flash dubbing
wing is teal
hackle is olive hen

Just message the blog author and ask for the materials list

That's a great help. Thank you so much.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Eunan covered my thoughts on the pattern's material list, though it looks like there could be Pheasant Tail or another sort of feather in the tail in addition to the flash.

I'd have to agree, messaging the blog's author is the best way to cut to the chase, or PM littledavid and ask him to do it for you

Seriously though, if you get a list from the author, please share with the group. I love the looks of it.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Fred, I think Eunan nailed it, body dubbing-wise. Olive Ice Dubbing. I use it on my fav large soft hackle:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Gary
Gary, wouldn't take a money bet against that call.

Fred
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 AM

Nick Granato of Salt Lake City seems to be the tier of the A. P. Variant Green, but I can find no contact information for him on that website.

Any Ideas? The website showing the "Stillwater Sweeties" does not seem to show "contact" info, and this tier is something of a pro, who writes articles for magazines etc.

Last edited by brucerducer; 01-14-2013 at 06:00 AM.