The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kglissmeyer1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM

jb fly is on a distinguished road
Default Scud hooks

I was just wondering if a size 12 Daiichi heavy wide gape. Is this right hook for me to learn to tie the scud pattern or should I look for something else.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Scud hooks

go for it and post a picture

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2013, 01:14 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

depending on your tying skill you might want to go with 14.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Wide gap hooks are what I prefer for scud patterns so you're in business there. Most of my scuds are tied on #14-#18 but it never hurts to have something a little larger. If a #12 wide gap scud hook is what you've got then tie a few up and see what you think.

If you go thin with the body material it could end up looking like a slightly larger scud. If you go thicker, it may end up looking more like a grub of some sort. Neither of which are bad things so long as the trout like them.

When I'm tying, I will usually crank out 12 at a time. The first three is where I'm usually getting the pattern dialed in. If 12 seems daunting, try doing 6 and 6 in another sitting. It's this repetitiveness that I believe helps me tie a better fly for the given pattern I'm working on.

Post some photos after you've got a few done.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tie the majority of my scuds on size 14-12 DaiRiki 125 emerger hooks. 1X short and a good wide gape which increases hookups. Here is a sample of what I tie:

KG's Spring Creek Scud
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

And here is the link for the recipe: Spring Creek Scud

Best Fishes,

Kelly.
jaybo41 and lthrnk03 like this.