The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hackle pliers for soft hackle question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
I have been seriously been thinking about using one of these as hackle pliers. I hate the ones that came with my kit, the stem is always slipping. For $3.50, how can you go wrong??

Mini Hook Clips : Hook Clips | RadioShack.com
That's like the one I have except that I bought mine from Feather-Craft and I love it. I have heard those ones you posted *sometimes* have a sharp edge on the metal prong, thus can cut into the hackle. I've read of people adding a piece of shrink tube over it which has reportedly solved the problem.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
I have been seriously been thinking about using one of these as hackle pliers. I hate the ones that came with my kit, the stem is always slipping. For $3.50, how can you go wrong??

They work double duty to hold flies for photos too, just put the base of the clip in the middle of a thread spool or such.

You can also add a key ring clip to them if the hole at the base is through and through, then you can wind them on your finger like a regular hackle plier.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

When I use hackle pliers, I have always been partial to English Hackle Pliers:

Click the image to open in full size.

They work for me, even using starling feathers on #18's and #20's - tied in at the stem...

PT/TB
newby likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I like this style the best for most applications:

It has a rubber pad on one side and holds pretty tight. But a lot of practice is necessary too, no matter which tool you have.
.[/QUOTE]

I have a pair of these also. I opened them up and put a coat of rubber cement over the rubber pad because the rubber was too hard and tended to break or cut the stem. The cement has worn off now, but it gave me some slack till I became more proficient with the pliers.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ian: Interesting idea, for that price it would be worth a try, let us know if they work ok or not. I've tried a number of hackle pliers over the years and never really been satisfied with any I tried and as a result always go back to hand winding.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've always; well, almost always, tip-tyed in soft hackles.

These are the hackle pliers that I use for almost everything. It's been important to me to use the stainless steel pliers, the brass coated version doesn't work anywhere near as well in my hands.

Dr. Slick Co.*•*Catalog *>*Fly Tying*>*Non-Rotary Hackle Pliers

Pocono
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use the same type as JoJer but replaced the rubber tip with grippier tubing and stretched it out so it has more tension. I have the Dr. Slick with the round rubber tip but find it clumbersome on small stuff.
I would like to try a high grade English type. So far I've only used cheap, kit types like that and am not overly impressed.
When I paint my masterpiece and the big money starts rolling in (right!) I'll pop for the Petitjean MP Plier.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use a rotary one for soft hackles so there is no twisting and breaking off.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
They work double duty to hold flies for photos too, just put the base of the clip in the middle of a thread spool or such.
On the electical clamps shown, I glue a coin to the bottom to weigh it down and make it more stable for pictures.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM

I finally found the hackle pliers I always knew someone could come up with. They grip like mad and are very light weight and tiny for squeezing into tight spots. The surfaces are all polished and smooth to eliminate cutting or fraying tight thread.Tyflyz Tools makes playing with CDC fun again.

Silvercreek would be pleased to know that even this guy approves of them...
Gary Borger Blog Archive Tyflyz Toolz Hackle Pliers

Pocono and lthrnk03 like this.