So, when i first joined this site, i came across Ard's page with all his flies, and my love of the trout fin wet flies indicated to me I should tie the Ard's Char Fin.
It's only taken me the best part of a year and a half to get it done, but here is my version.
I tried to keep to the original as much as possible, but did change some things.
I used seals fur for the front half of the body rather than mohair.
For the hackles i used Whiting Spey hackles. I got an awesome deal on some capes and saddles (and bird fur) on new years day, with two orange saddles among the hoard - one of them I dyed black (acid dyes again) this past week.
So instead of burnt goose which i think Ard used, i've got a black whiting spey palmered over the front half. for the collar, Ard used gadwell, but i took an orange spey hackle and gave it a few turns, followed by white schlappen to create some bulk at the head/neck to move some water. I left off the throat of white/black/orange hackle fibers, as i already had those colors incorporated with the spey hackles. Wing is the same as Ard suggested, equal sections of orange/black/white goose shoulder.
Hook is a McNeese Blue Heron #2. Hope you (and Ard) like this version too!
I finished the head with on coat of Hard as nails, one coat of UV resin from forum member silver creek, and one coat of Sally's shine polish, something i've started to use to finish the heads on my salmon flies. I think this one needs another coat of shiny stuff.
The Silver creek resin, worked great, dried without a tacky feel
, and was easy to apply. Only thing i'd recommend is a narrower brush in the bottle.
So, here's the fly!