The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree20Likes
  • 12 Post By s fontinalis
  • 6 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By thorsten

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Ard's Char Fin - 'S fontinali's 2013 remix edition'

So, when i first joined this site, i came across Ard's page with all his flies, and my love of the trout fin wet flies indicated to me I should tie the Ard's Char Fin.

It's only taken me the best part of a year and a half to get it done, but here is my version.

I tried to keep to the original as much as possible, but did change some things.
I used seals fur for the front half of the body rather than mohair.
For the hackles i used Whiting Spey hackles. I got an awesome deal on some capes and saddles (and bird fur) on new years day, with two orange saddles among the hoard - one of them I dyed black (acid dyes again) this past week.
So instead of burnt goose which i think Ard used, i've got a black whiting spey palmered over the front half. for the collar, Ard used gadwell, but i took an orange spey hackle and gave it a few turns, followed by white schlappen to create some bulk at the head/neck to move some water. I left off the throat of white/black/orange hackle fibers, as i already had those colors incorporated with the spey hackles. Wing is the same as Ard suggested, equal sections of orange/black/white goose shoulder.

Hook is a McNeese Blue Heron #2. Hope you (and Ard) like this version too!
I finished the head with on coat of Hard as nails, one coat of UV resin from forum member silver creek, and one coat of Sally's shine polish, something i've started to use to finish the heads on my salmon flies. I think this one needs another coat of shiny stuff.

The Silver creek resin, worked great, dried without a tacky feel, and was easy to apply. Only thing i'd recommend is a narrower brush in the bottle.

So, here's the fly!

Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 01-14-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Ard's Char Fin - 'S fontinali's 2013 remix edition'

Thanks for the recognition Eunan, they are a pretty fly and will catch the fish as well. I like the white version you've made. When I'm ready for some married wing punishment I may turn out a couple with white hackling like yours.

Ard

For those who don't know what we're talking about, here's the picture of what I started tying a while back for a fall char fly. The hackles were pulled down for the photo effect but when you fish them you gotta pull it back so it is concentric or the flies ride sideways

Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Ard,

I pretty much followed your pattern except the changes detailed above.
Only other thing i changed was oval tinsel for the tag, as it helps create a dam for the floss at the back half the body, and provides (at least to me) a smoother transition when the hackle and rib are tied in at the back.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 01-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You guys sure do tie some beautiful salmon flies, thanks for sharing!
s fontinalis likes this.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:03 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Just one word: RESPECT
s fontinalis likes this.

THORSTEN