The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is The Difference...and Why?

One problem with tenkara is that you cannot release line to minimize line tension. So if you hook a big fish, the collapsing sections of the rod can get tugged on until the line breaks or you land the fish. If you point the rod at a bug fish and tug, the straight pull on the sections can cause the sections to lock into one another. With a tenkara rod, pulling the sections apart makes them tighter and not looser as with a normal fly rod.

Tom Rosenbauer mentioned this in one of his podcasts. I talked to one fellow who fishes tenkara at the TU Icebreaker, and this has happened to him. He broke his rod tip trying to his rod to shorten.

So don't allow the rod to point at a fish or a snag.

If you do get a stuck section here is a method that is used to unstick it.

shotgunfly likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
People using Tenkara rods can and do use the same flies as most of us would use when targeting trout. There's no reason they can't. I think traditional Tenkara flies were developed in Japan by the Japanese using using tenkara rods. From what I've read, their purpose is to be easy to tie and entice strikes rather than imitate specific insects. The reverse hackle can create great action underwater and the flies can be dead drifted or pulsed, pulled, etc in the water. You can use tenkara flies on western fly rods and western flies on tenkara rods. If you want you can use a hook with a worm on either, it's up to you.
I think William was spot on. Very generally speaking, a number of people who fish with fixed length-line systems seem to rely more on presentation techniques that the method allows rather than exact imitation of the fly being fished.

Speaking for myself, I fish a very generic looking fly. I like a fly that I can fish dry, damp and wet, sometimes all on the same cast. I very rarely if ever switch patterns, I do constantly change presentation. My basic philosophy is to make the fly look like something alive.

But the bottom line is, it's all just fishing. Use whatever equipment and flies that you like and that you have confidence in. It all works

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What Is The Difference...and Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Tenkara sounds exotic, specialized, as opposed to saying your a nympher.

Dave
I so want to nominate this as "Post of the Day." Soooo many ways a loose mind like mine could run ...

But that's TMI.

fae
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
One problem with tenkara is that you cannot release line to minimize line tension. So if you hook a big fish, the collapsing sections of the rod can get tugged on until the line breaks or you land the fish. If you point the rod at a bug fish and tug, the straight pull on the sections can cause the sections to lock into one another.
Exactly! It's not a tool for big fish, it might have been in the interview on the Orvis podcast that Daniel Galhardo talks about these limitations with Tom Rosenbauer. If you're targeting big fish or there's a good chance you'll hook one it might not be the right rod to be using. That said, here's a video of Daniel catching a nice brown. Personally I'm hitting small streams with fish smaller fish.

One nice thing about Tenkara is that if you break a section you might be able order a replacement, I know Tenkara USA does it. I've never done it, but if you unscrew the butt cap the sections will come out the bottom and you replace the broken one. Still better not to break them, but a nice feature.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:48 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Tenkara sounds exotic, specialized, as opposed to saying your a nympher.

Dave
I actually agree that there might be something better to call it than tenkara. However, the term does not equate to necessary fishing a nymph. Whatever you call it is probably a more effective tool for fishing dries. The idea is the long rod and light line allow one to fish a fly while holding the entire line above the water, for all practical purposes eliminating unwanted drag.

And it certainly does have it's limitations, bottomline, it's typically a sub one weight rod. Just as it's probably not a good idea to use your one/two/three weight reeled rod to target king salmon or steelhead, t****** has a niche for which it's most suitable.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
One nice thing about Tenkara is that if you break a section you might be able order a replacement, I know Tenkara USA does it. I've never done it, but if you unscrew the butt cap the sections will come out the bottom and you replace the broken one. Still better not to break them, but a nice feature.
I haven't yet but I got the tip section stuck in the rod and took it to the local shop. You're right they popped it out the back.

For $7 they sold me a tip section, since they tend to break more than the other sections.

I've known some tenkara fisherman (Tom Sadler) to have caught some nice size browns at Mossy Creek.

Tenkara Invitational is here in hburg this May. I'm thinking of going and learning more about it.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting topic. I too was wondering about this and have been looking at Tenkara a bit. There have been lots of good answers here.

While strict Tenkara such as the form presented by Tenkara USA is the pure Japanese form of flyfishing, not all Tenkara in the US is that way. To some if you aren't using a specific rod, line, and Sakasa Kebari fly then you aren't using true Tenkara.

Not all feel that way, and there has been a Westernizing influence in Tenkara here in the US. Many use the same Western patterns in both dry and wet flies that we regularly use. To me it seems that the method is somewhat similar to high stick nymphing, even if it is with a dry fly or a nymph.

A "Tenkara" fly is usually a version of the Sakasa Kebari, a fly developed in Japan for use in their small mountain streams. It is very simple and has the hackle pointing forward. The body can be just about any color or material. It doesn't really represent a specific bug.

What is special about it, is the way that it is fished or pulsed in the water. With the hackle forward, the fly shows a lot of life in the water and is very effective in catching fish. Where we would dead drift a nymph, they would pulse and dance their one Sakasa Kebari past the fish's nose.

It is a very effective method and looks like a lot of fun. I am going to give it a try anyway when I get a chance. That is if the weather ever gets warm enough to let me!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

As I see it as I've read many Books & watched many articles on Fishing & Flytying over the years,I'm with Silver it's all not new as it's all been tried,many have used it in a similiar fashion before,only thing like lots of other Stuff,Fancy Names have been given to it.
Brian.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 AM

Regardless of what you want to call it, no one that I know makes any claims that it is anything revolutionary, new or previously untried. Quite the contrary, it is a style of fishing that is extremely simple and traditional.

It is probably not for everyone. I think it is analogous to the folks who shoot a long or recurve bow vs the folks who shoot compound or cross bows. As with reeled vs non-reeled rods, each offers something to those who use them. (When I say vs. I don't mean to imply that it is them against us, or that it has to be either one or the other. Some folks like to fish dry flys, some folks like to fish streamers, some folks like to use a reel, some folks don't. The differences are minor, there is much more in common)

I personally enjoy the simplicity, it really comes down to fishing with a stick, a string and a fly. That's how I got started fishing 50 years ago, I enjoyed it then, I enjoy it now.
wt bash and shotgunfly like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Regardless of what you want to call it, no one that I know makes any claims that it is anything revolutionary, new or previously untried. Quite the contrary, it is a style of fishing that is extremely simple and traditional.
I agree.

Rather than revolutionary, it is evolutionary. Material science has allowed rod makers to create longer and lighter rods which have benefited not only tenkara, but also tradition one handed fly rods and two handed spey rods.

It is the same continuos improvement process that has allowed for thinner and stronger leaders, fluorocarbon leaders, super lines, etc.
shotgunfly likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy