The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What Is The Difference...and Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
Regardless of what you want to call it, no one that I know makes any claims that it is anything revolutionary, new or previously untried. Quite the contrary, it is a style of fishing that is extremely simple and traditional.

It is probably not for everyone. I think it is analogous to the folks who shoot a long or recurve bow vs the folks who shoot compound or cross bows. As with reeled vs non-reeled rods, each offers something to those who use them. (When I say vs. I don't mean to imply that it is them against us, or that it has to be either one or the other. Some folks like to fish dry flys, some folks like to fish streamers, some folks like to use a reel, some folks don't. The differences are minor, there is much more in common)

I personally enjoy the simplicity, it really comes down to fishing with a stick, a string and a fly. That's how I got started fishing 50 years ago, I enjoyed it then, I enjoy it now.
I agree we all have at one time Fished with a String/Line on A stick,however I'm not knocking The Method as it's really The Simplest way to Fish & it's up to The Person to Fish whichever way they choose.
A mate of mine was in Japan years ago & bought back a Rod,I think he's only used it a couple of times,maybe I'll try it again one day as I see it would a good way to fish Small Streams,especially Rapids,a method used out here before The intruduction of Spinning Reels..
Brian
Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I was intrigued by the word "tenkara" so I did a bit of searching and was surprised to see that when I was a kid fishing for brook trout in tiny streams, I was "tenkara" fishing. Using a branch or a cane pole is about the best way to fish a small stream in heavy bush. Ok....I do admit to being a bit more modern by using a spinning rod, an old fly reel and some old fly line to which I add about 2 feet of mono-filament. I either use a fly or just a plain hook and bait. The reel is more of a storage device for the line and does make it easier to adjust the length of the line. Often, it's a question of poking the rod through some bushes and then letting out line until the bait or fly enters the water. Very often, the brookies jump out of the water and grab the bait or fly before it hits the water.

I don't think that I would go all the way and make tenkara type flies because there are lots of common flies that do an excellent job. Actually, anything works when fishing for brook trout in tiny streams.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I too used one of those cane poles with line tied to the end of it when I was a kid. I have a TenkaraUSA Iwana and I can tell you it's not the same as the cane pole from the hardware store. For one thing, you cast a tenkara rod, actually wasn't tough to tweak my fly cast, just couldn't increase the line off the tip of the rod. I found I had great accuracy with my cast and it was easy to make a very stealthy, subtle presentation. I fished tenkara flies, but also used the same dries and nymphs I use normally, even heavy czech nymphs. The compact nature of the tenkara rod is what draws me. Makes is so easy to carry the collapsed rod, a box flies, tippet spool, etc when walking with the family.

It won't replace my regular fly gear, but it's not the same as a cheap cane pole.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I do remember streams where ordinary equipment is not the way to fish. There are even some streams nearby that I would not use anything other than a good stiff branch. The reason is that these streams are full of snags and the banks are undercut thus giving lots of places for the trout to hide but also get tangled up in the snags. The only way to fish these places is with a very stiff branch that won't allow the trout to swim back into their snag filled hiding place.