The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Is The Difference...and Why?

Those who know me here understand that I am not one to stir the pot. I like my forums to be congenial and friendly and I usually avoid discussion conflicts.

That being said, I am not trying to stir something up with this thread, nevertheless, inquiring minds want to know, me being one of them...

So, my question is this: Since most nymph anglers fish to much the same species of fish that Tenkara anglers do - usually trout, what is the difference between "Tenkara" flies and why? If we fish to the same species by putting some sort of food imitation in front of them, enticing them to eat, why is there a definite differentiation between regular trout fishing nymphs and Tenkara fishing nymphs? Aren't we imitating regular aquatic insects with our imitations? Why not use the same imitations? Perhaps tenkara anglers do use the same bugs, but it sure seems like there are a lot of new ties that are specifically called "Tenkara" flies. I also understand the concept of having a more heavily weighted fly involved in tenkara angling, but I do the same when nymph fishing all the time.

Just wondering...

Now, you all know the rules. No debates here regarding who likes what method more and why, or which method is best and why. Just a civil discussion to answer my inquiring mind.

Thanks,

Kelly.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: What Is The Difference...and Why?

Good question. I'm just getting into Tenkara and posted the question over at the TenkaraUSA forum. I'll report back soon. I don't see much of a difference.

I asked the same question about some dry flies (not the one's with the reverse hackles). I mean these just look like tiny ants. The answer I got (which I can't remember) was evidently there IS a difference in how they sit in the water...sure looked like a regular dry fly terrestrial to me.

Back in a jiff....

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

People using Tenkara rods can and do use the same flies as most of us would use when targeting trout. There's no reason they can't. I think traditional Tenkara flies were developed in Japan by the Japanese using using tenkara rods. From what I've read, their purpose is to be easy to tie and entice strikes rather than imitate specific insects. The reverse hackle can create great action underwater and the flies can be dead drifted or pulsed, pulled, etc in the water. You can use tenkara flies on western fly rods and western flies on tenkara rods. If you want you can use a hook with a worm on either, it's up to you.
mcnerney and pszy22 like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
People using Tenkara rods can and do use the same flies as most of us would use when targeting trout. There's no reason they can't. I think traditional Tenkara flies were developed in Japan by the Japanese using using tenkara rods. From what I've read, their purpose is to be easy to tie and entice strikes rather than imitate specific insects. The reverse hackle can create great action underwater and the flies can be dead drifted or pulsed, pulled, etc in the water. You can use tenkara flies on western fly rods and western flies on tenkara rods. If you want you can use a hook with a worm on either, it's up to you.
That about wraps it up
Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Tenkara sounds exotic, specialized, as opposed to saying your a nympher.

Dave
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

The only time I tried tenkara was on a little creek when I forgot my reel.
I tied a leader to the end of my 3wt and caught a ton of little browns using a dry dropper setup. I can't see why standard flies wouldn't work just fine.
ALthough I do want to tie some reverse hackles to see how they work...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Truth be told, the earliest record of fly fishing was dapping which is the basis of Tenkara.

The earliest account of what could be interpreted as fly fishing is from 200 AD.

"They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax. Their rod is six feet long, and their line is the same length. Then they throw their snare, and the fish, attracted and maddened by the colour, comes straight at it, thinking from the pretty sight to gain a dainty mouthful; when, however, it opens its jaws, it is caught by the hook, and enjoys a bitter repast, a captive."

Fly Fishing History: Ælian

So this is not a recent form of fly fishing but the earliest form of fly fishing. Casting a fly line is not mentioned until about 1500 years later.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm okay with and understand the mechanics behind Tenkara, but just wondering about why there is a niche for "tenkara" flies. It seems to me that in the end we are all just trying to imitate what the fish are eating and then entice them to eat our offering, so it is a bit confusing for me to see the need for a 'specialized' tenkara fly when so many other patterns already fill the bill. Not knocking it, just wondering.

Thanks all for the great answers. I am a bit more enlightened.

Kelly.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I think the advantage of Tenkara is that you can manipulate the fly lifting and dapping it with greater accuracy than a cast with a shorter fly rod. What it comes down to, as it always does, is presentation.

Any advantage in fish catching must come down to the fact that in certain fishing situations a tenkara outfit presents the flies more easily and with greater precision than a standard outfit.

I just listened to a talk by George Daniel, author of Dynamic Nymphing, and a former member and coach of the US National Fly Fishing Team. He was in Madison, Wi this past weekend.

Icebreaker

The question of tenkara came up, and he said he nymph fishes tenkara just like he does with his euronymphing set up. He uses a sighter and the same flies.

Here is a post about it on a Tenkara BB

Tenkara USA • View topic - George Daniel on Tenkara

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanks, silver! As always, you come through and I am better informed. I appreciate the links and the great info. Now, what to do? Hmmm...

Kelly.