The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By s fontinalis
  • 1 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Chickabou replacement

I am sitting here watching a fly tying video, Biot series with Bill Heckles, He's using chickabou for a couple of patterns. I don't have any on hand, so I am wondering what a suitable replacement would be. CDC??
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Chickabou replacement

marabou seems the logical choice to me, but chickabou aint that expensive.

Mini marabou is the way to go i believe - chickabou comes from the same place on a chicken that marabou comes from on a turkey
mcnerney and lthrnk03 like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

use the fluff from the base of a hackle

even a partridge skin contains mini marabou feathers
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
I am sitting here watching a fly tying video, Biot series with Bill Heckles, He's using chickabou for a couple of patterns. I don't have any on hand, so I am wondering what a suitable replacement would be. CDC??
I would use the philoplumes also called after shaft feather. Try a ringneck pheasant to get a size similar to chickabou. I think standard marabou from a turkey would be too big to match chickabou.

Go to the first match under this search:

Click to View Search Results for 302 Moved 302 Moved

Can you post the url for the video so we can see how large the chickabou is?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy