The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM

tamster321 will become famous soon enoughtamster321 will become famous soon enough
Default burning tool

I have a burning tool and I havent used it in a few years. I went to use it and it doesnt work. So, I was wondering if this thing uses batteries or works by some other means. I hope there is a way I can fix it.....any advice would be great!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: burning tool

This will sound like a pretty dumb answer, but if there's a cord/plug end out the back it's .. if not. Batteries. Now the question is how do you get at the damned things?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamster321 View Post
I have a burning tool and I havent used it in a few years. I went to use it and it doesnt work.
Oh Fred you are a good boy for resisting the answer that is killing me right now.
williamhj likes this.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM

tamster321 will become famous soon enoughtamster321 will become famous soon enough
Default burning tool

Well it is not a plug in burner....and I tried to get the bottom off but couldn't so I will try some pliers to get the dang end off so I can get to the batteries...thanks guys!!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bet you don't need pliers. Look it over good. There is probably a way to get it off with less force. Look for a tiny screw in the plastic, or ridges for a good thumb grip.

Sorry about my first post but the burning tool thing was almost more than I could resist.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: burning tool

Ok, Ok ... I'm taking bets as to how long this thread goes before it gets pulled.

I'll start:

Question: "What do you give a man who has everything?"

Answer: 10,000 units of Penie Cilin?

Sorry Tam, but DD and I are going back and forth with bad jokes. Funny as all heck, but 'bad' never the less. Welcome to the Asylum!
Fred
Guest1 and rubberguy like this.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

I nearly split my side when you posted this Fred. I'm not joking, I laughed so hard I had tears.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I nearly split my side when you posted this Fred. I'm not joking, I laughed so hard I had tears.
"Abby something." Love the movie and the huge rings on the castle door: Looking at her ... you know what's ... "Those are great knockers." Maybe you have to be 70 to know the reference?

Priceless one liners. Priceless!
fae
Guest1 and wt bash like this.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:31 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

getting back on track

the cauterizer you have runs on batteries and are really hard to change out as they are meant to be thrown out. they are most used in the medical profession.

if you really need to use one (apparently you didnt) then just buy a new one that has replaceable tips and batteries

Click the image to open in full size.

you can get one here

Feathersmc.com: CAUTERY Replaceable tip and Batteries

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 AM

Mrtrout will become famous soon enoughMrtrout will become famous soon enough

I also have one of these, the medical type.
Someone on the UK forum sold a few a year or two back.
They are as mentioned a sealed unit, and are meant to be discarded when the batteries run flat, BUT, you can get round it and replace the batteries fairly easily.
If you use a sharp Stanley knife/craft knife, and gently make a cut around the plastic cylinder approx one inch from the battery end, you can replace them.
Once installed, hold the end cap tightly and put some electrical insulation tape around the cut section to keep it in place until the next time.
I did it myself in about ten minutes, you could use a fine tooth hacksaw if you prefer, just go gently.
These burners are far too good to bin, and you can get many more years out of them with this trick.
Either that, or start dating a nurse!!
S.
fredaevans likes this.