The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:27 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: i've joined the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
well $220+ later i have joined fly tying
hell, add another zero and you will be a full fledged card carrying member!

to the club
mcnerney and lthrnk03 like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on jumping into fly tying and your new setup! Your flies look excellent for first ties, you are already well beyond me and probably many others for a starting point.

Not surprisingly, excellent advise has been given. Videos are extremely helpful--I use them all the time, but I have to agree with Larry. If you have a fly shop or a fly fishing club close by, see if they offer lessons or tying nights. Learning first hand from an experienced tier watching your every move is the way to go, especially when you are new to tying or new to tying certain types or styles of flies.

Learning to control thread is important. What I did was to take a streamer hook and just wrap it from front to back, back to front and practice whip finishing. Less is more with thread too. You don't want to build up your tie in points for materials or heads and that takes practice and cognitive thinking. Even after 12 or so years, I am still fighting this. This also goes for dubbing, feathers, etc. Usually 2-3 wraps of thread with the right amount of tension will do it.

Also, like dean said, stick to some easy patterns at first. Tie at least a dozen of each of them. Watch your progress from the first to the last fly. Even as an experienced tier I do this. I am amazed when I'm tying a new to me pattern and see the progress from the first three flies to my last few. You might also want to add the Pheasant Tail Nymph into the mix as another easy fly that is useful anywhere. As dean suggested the Hare's Ear, you can make tweaks to the Pheasant Tail and still have an incredibly effective fly.

Lastly, stick with it and do post your ties and ask for input here. I am constantly blown away by the talent of the other tiers and their willingness to help one another. I've learned lots here too.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
1. its a big investment up front,, but just like with fly rod set up, once you get over first initial purchase, seems like ill be able to expand my materials collection w/out as big of shocker in $$
I'm serious when I say this: I'm a Benedictine monk and I live under a condition of poverty. If I can afford it on my limited spending allowance, you can.

Part of the fun is learning all of the weird things you can use for materials. In flytying, drier lint is gold. As is cat fur. Believe me, when you get to that stage, you're addicted and there's no cure, thank God!

Quote:
2. Fly Tying is HARD.....very HARD. so far only my wooly buggers look like i could have bought them at a store, all other flies im still struggling with, but to be fair i's only been 2 weeks and i've done only few hours of tying.
looking forward to improving my fly tying. even going to ORVIS free fly tying class tomorrow in LA
They'll catch fish, though. Yours look at least as good as mine. A whole school of fly-tying says you're only trying trying to create impressions anyway. For that matter, bedraggled flies look like crippled critters and easy prey to fish. An accomplished fly tier once showed me a notebook of pictures of nymphs, insects, baitfish, etc. he'd recently photographed. Most of them had legs missing, variations in color, different/weird proportions, etc.

The strange thing about fly tiers is that we try to make perfect imitations of things that rarely exist that way in nature.

That said, the only thing that I might say is that some of the dry flies might be a little long in the hackle to get them to ride correctly.

Let the fish decide. That tyer also told me to fish every fly I tied. It may be exactly what the fish want.

Quote:
3. biggest problem i have is Whip finishing , and getting materials to stay where i need them, and i do keep breaking thread quite a bit.
It'll come. I didn't bother learning how to whip finish for a couple of years and then only with my fingers. I learned how to a couple of half hitches and said that was good enough for me. I only took up a whip finisher for the heck of it. Most of the time it's buried under rubble on my desk anyway, so I don't use it on a lot of my flies.

Youtube is a fly-tyers dream. All of this stuff is on video there.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.[/QUOTE]
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

learn how to whip finish by hand from one of the best

mcnerney, lthrnk03, kayo and 1 others like this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys. Lots of encouraging words here.
I have been watching fly tying videos for few weeks before getting all the stuff. Even now i watch then and pause them as I tie my fly.
In an hour I'm heading to Orvis fly tying basics class.
Good advice on tying dozens of simplest flies I will do this technique.
I forgot to get some beads for nymphs so have not tied those yet but I'll get that today so I can try : copper John , pheasant tail nymph, hares ear.
Thanks again. I'll report back when I tie few more things.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and williamhj like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

You did a GREAT START, Roman -CONGRATULATIONS Donīt make the mistake to buy too much materials, which you rally don jot need (I know thatīs difficult)
mcnerney likes this.

THORSTEN
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

The Royal Wulff is still one of the hardest flies for me to tie. They are beautiful and I completely understand the desire to make them ... I love the fly on many levels ... but don't let it get you down. It's a tough one!
I totally agree. I buy my Royal Wullfs. Too many material changes on the hook shank.

Romani, you are way better organized that I was when I started. Congratulation. I think you are doing great!

I'm going to be a demo tyer at the Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener Conclave. Here's a photo from last year showing our youngest demo tyer. I wish I had started that young.

jaybo41, dean_mt and lthrnk03 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I totally agree. I buy my Royal Wullfs. Too many material changes on the hook shank.
I do that with some patterns too, Wullfs being one of them. Sometimes it's just not worth my time or attempted efforts.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the club! Before you know it you'll be picking tufts of hair of the family dog and trying to dub it up on a fly. There is definitely a learning curve to fly tying... Someone once told me that the first dozen flies you tie of any particular pattern are just practice, Its definitely an addiction.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I do that with some patterns too, Wullfs being one of them. Sometimes it's just not worth my time or attempted efforts.
Sometime last fall, I think it was, I must have been frustrated from not fishing enough and I sat down and ties Royal Wulffs from #10 to like #18 I think it was. It was a "fun" project. I meant to post photos of the best of each, it's kind of cool to see them go from big to very little. Maybe I can get that photo tonight.
jaybo41 likes this.