The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: i've joined the club

RomanL

Fly Tying is not really hard. It's just that there is only so much new information most of us can absorb at one time.

Be patient with yourself. Don't be in too big a hurry.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

did a bit more tying today.
learned another way to tie Wooly bugger , so tied few more in diff colors.
also tied: Griffith's Gnar, Mosquito (really like this one)
Click the image to open in full size.

seems like ill keep buying my Stimulators and Humpy's, tried and have a very hard time tying those.
jaybo41, dean_mt and brucerducer like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay at it, takes time to teach the fingers new muscle memory and to be nimble again.

Dave
Old 01-20-2013, 01:17 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Looking good, romanl! You're buggers are progessing already, I love that yellow tail, try some peacock sparkle dub for the body on that, it's a great fly. You're mosquito looks good as well.

As for the Stimi and Humpy, better to wait a bit. The Stimulator isn't very hard once you get it (again - proportions, proper hackle size, and then tying down deer hair which is an animal in itself), and Humpy's -- man, I take back what I said about the Royal Wulff earlier, I think Humpies are harder. A lot of difficult tie downs and proper proportioning there.

Speaking of...I posted my Royal Wulffs #10-20 on the "what have been tying today" thread in this sub-forum. I don't think I'd dare doing it with Humpies ... or maybe I will give it a shot ...
Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
did a bit more tying today.
learned another way to tie Wooly bugger , so tied few more in diff colors.
also tied: Griffith's Gnar, Mosquito (really like this one)

seems like ill keep buying my Stimulators and Humpy's, tried and have a very hard time tying those.

Those are all very good. You see? The Mosquito is very nicely done. The Stimulator and Humpy will all come in their own good time.
What is probably most required in learning Fly Tying, is patience, and an attitude that tells us that we must allow ourselves a chance to learn.

By the way, I have a great quote for you:

The following Narrative is a voice-over by actor Morgan Freeman playing "Red"
in the movie, "SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION"; "Red" Narrates:

"In 1966, Andy Dufresne escaped from Shawshank prison.

All they found of him was a muddy set of prison clothes, a bar of soap, and an old rock hammer, damn near worn down to the nub.

I remember thinking it would take a man six hundred years to tunnel through the wall with it. Old Andy did it in less than twenty.

Oh, Andy loved geology. I imagine it appealed to his meticulous nature.

An ice age here, a million years of mountain building there.

Geology is the study of pressure and time.

That's all it takes really, PRESSURE and TIME."---from the movie

"SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION" starring Tim Robbins as "Andy".

You are doing very well.