The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default i've joined the club

well $220+ later i have joined fly tying
i have to admit that its a bit frustrating at first. for few reasons:
1. its a big investment up front,, but just like with fly rod set up, once you get over first initial purchase, seems like ill be able to expand my materials collection w/out as big of shocker in $$
2. Fly Tying is HARD.....very HARD. so far only my wooly buggers look like i could have bought them at a store, all other flies im still struggling with, but to be fair i's only been 2 weeks and i've done only few hours of tying.
looking forward to improving my fly tying. even going to ORVIS free fly tying class tomorrow in LA

3. biggest problem i have is Whip finishing , and getting materials to stay where i need them, and i do keep breaking thread quite a bit.

rule #1 (pics)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: i've joined the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
rule #1 (pics)

Looks like you've got things well in hand. Nice looking kit. I guarantee your other flies will come along in time if those buggers are any indication of your full potential. I like the cape (hackles) selections you have. You cover pretty well all the fundamental colors. Hope you're ready for full blown addiction.
mcnerney, jaybo41 and williamhj like this.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, fly tying is a big learning curve but the satisfaction of tying your own flies is well worth the effort. You might try putting a hook in the vise, spinning some thread on there and slowly tighting down until it breaks and try to remember how much pressure you are applying. Do this for a few times until you get the feel for where the breaking point is.
For beginners, I always recommend picking up a copy of Charlie Craven's "Basic Fly Tying", you will be miles ahead in the long run. He has some wonderful tips on tying techniques that will do you well, for example, how to place material on the hook so that when you tighten the thread down it is in the place you want it. That can be extremely frustrating for beginners. The other thing that will go a longs ways is getting some hands on lessons if available in your area. Most fly shops offer fly tying lessons during the winter months, check around and see if there is anything available in your area. Best of luck. If all else fails post your questions here, we have some amazing tiers on the forum that can provide help.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Romani,you have bought up big,as you mentioned "It's a Learning Curve" as there are alway different way to do things,also your Flies look quite good,don't worry we all have broken our share of Threads/Cotton over The years.
At times I've even smoothed The Skin on my Fingers with Sandpaper to try to prevent breaking The Fine Threads when tying Small Dries.
So Happy Tying.
Brian
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Looks like your off to a great start!
You will find that it's just a little bit better when you catch fish on flies you tied
Welcome to the club
Cheers,
Watson
Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

220+, wait till next year. It's an addiction, but I love it. Like they said, easy on the string pressure. Tied some Czech nymphs last week, did the same thing. Practice, practice...

By the way, nice first Royal Wolf. I like the hook displacement to water film.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:28 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! It looks like you are well prepared and off to a good start. First flies are rough, there's no way around it but that's how you learn. Breaking thread is totally normal, that's how you learn to feel how much pressure you can put on it. Keep going and don't get discouraged. Pay attention to proportion of flies on the hook shank. Learning this will help your tying immensely as you won't run out of room, have too much room or crowd the hook eye.

As others said, get in a class and/or find someone to tie with who knows what they are doing. If you don't already, watch videos of people tying. Two of my favorites are Davie McPhail and Tight Lines. It's inspiring to watch the flies created but you can also observe how they do it. Before you know it, you'll be able to watch a video then go to the vise and tie the fly from memory
mcnerney and lthrnk03 like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: i've joined the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Nice! It looks like you are well prepared and off to a good start. First flies are rough, there's no way around it but that's how you learn. Breaking thread is totally normal, that's how you learn to feel how much pressure you can put on it. Keep going and don't get discouraged. Pay attention to proportion of flies on the hook shank. Learning this will help your tying immensely as you won't run out of room, have too much room or crowd the hook eye.

As others said, get in a class and/or find someone to tie with who knows what they are doing. If you don't already, watch videos of people tying. Two of my favorites are Davie McPhail and Tight Lines. It's inspiring to watch the flies created but you can also observe how they do it. Before you know it, you'll be able to watch a video then go to the vise and tie the fly from memory
--------
nice start ! I agree with William about paying attention to the proportion of the fly on the hook size. Because you tie a fly on a hook size doesn't make the finished fly the same size as the hook. Good luck and above all, enjoy yourself.
mcnerney likes this.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
--------
nice start ! I agree with William about paying attention to the proportion of the fly on the hook size. Because you tie a fly on a hook size doesn't make the finished fly the same size as the hook. Good luck and above all, enjoy yourself.
Ditto. In the beginning you have to use less material, for nearly everything, than seems right. I was told early on, the dubbing mantra is "Less is More."

You're on your way! Congrats, it's lifelong journey and a passion ...

A little advice, and I remember how hard it is, try to stick the easy patterns as much as possible at first. Sure when you get bored, try something new and "pretty." But to get proportions and amount of materials figured out, tie a pile of hare's ear nymphs. First, they are just great flies that catch fish. Second, you can make variants like crazy when you get bored (colors, rib varitions/no ribs, bead heads, a turn of soft hackle, etc.). And thirdly, you learn how to do a lot of the basics - dubbing, ribbing, tying in feathers (wing case), proportions, etc.

The Royal Wulff is still one of the hardest flies for me to tie. They are beautiful and I completely understand the desire to make them ... I love the fly on many levels ... but don't let it get you down. It's a tough one!

Keep posting your flies and think about joining a swap when you see one you think you can do.

Good luck, carry on!

Last edited by dean_mt; 01-19-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice tying set... good deal for $220 starting with good quality capes will help you .Your flies look nice toodon't worry about the whip finish...stopped using it long ago...a half hitcher...a drop of superglue that's greatand strong...
mcnerney and lthrnk03 like this.