The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 PM

Eric Cioe is on a distinguished road
Default Thread help for a total beginner

I'm warning you guys - assume that I know nothing.

I am attempting to start my first fly. I'm using the flyanglersonline beginners section as my resource.

I have this thread right now on my bobbin - Danville's Heavy Flat Floss, 10 yds 4 Strand Rayon. How do I work with the 4 strands? I'm assuming they all go through the bobbin together, but as I attempt to affix the thread to the hook, I am having a hard time believing that this is how it is supposed to look.

Any help would be much, much obliged. Like I say, I know nothing about this stuff but am ready and willing to listen and learn.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread help for a total beginner

Eric,
What fly are you trying to tie? and what size hook?

I think you should try a different thread, something like Danville size "A", or maybe "Monocord" typically when you start tying your not going to start with a floss, using floss can be a pain in the rear.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

The previous question regarding which fly you are trying to tie is important. For most flies the tying thread would be something on the order of 70 danier, 6/0, etc.--you normally wouldn't be tying with floss. For the most part the floss would normally be attached to the fly with the tying thread, wrapped around the hook, etc., then tied off with the tying thread. If you post what fly you are trying to tie the help can be more specific.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Eric Cioe is on a distinguished road

I am trying to tie this one, the EZ Nymph The EZ-Nymph Beginning Fly Tying, Part 7 - FAOL

At this point I'm more trying to learn the mechanics of putting a fly together than making anything especially nice or useful.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

OK, that is easy enough, and you definately need some of the other types of thread that have been mentioned....
The thread will be much easier to work with, will build up less and will bind down materials better.
Try not to use too much tension on the thread, And don't get discouraged if you break your thread a few times, as this is part of the learning curve.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-16-2008, 09:05 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

I just started tying my own fly's too! I use 6/0 UNI-Thread most of the time. It's not to thin and it's not to thick. The higher the number of thread the thinner it is. Have fun. That website that you are using to learn how to tie different flys is a great site. I use that site alot also. I also learned many things on YouTube.com There is tons of videos on tying flys there.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Well Eric,
Did you get some new thread? and how goes the battle?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Once you get some normal tying thread, i'd recommed testing it by wrapping the hook shank to see how much tension it takes to break it. Its much better to break thread when you're not 80% done with a fly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Once you get some normal tying thread, i'd recommed testing it by wrapping the hook shank to see how much tension it takes to break it. Its much better to break thread when you're not 80% done with a fly.
As a beginner I would drop a half-hitch after every tie-in, tie-off, covering wrap, etc. Yes, all those extra half-hitches slowed down my tying speed, but being able to restart at the last half-hitch made it possible to complete one fly now and then versus having every fly lost to broken thread.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like you're already in the habit of planning ahead to the next steps. That will help alot with your tying.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.