The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Saddle wing not staying straight (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/308506-saddle-wing-not-staying-straight.html)

drahcirb 01-20-2013 02:23 PM

Saddle wing not staying straight

Hi
Im trying to get some grizzly saddle to lay next to my zonker wing on each side to represent parr?? markings. Anyways they always rotate on me when I tighten the thread aound the stem. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there a technique for tying them in and holding them straight I can use? Any tips from the pros is appreciated!
Richard

Rip Tide 01-20-2013 02:29 PM

Re: Saddle wing not staying straight

Crush the stem so that it lies flat. Then do a pinch wrap

mudbug 01-20-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 518401)
Crush the stem so that it lies flat. Then do a pinch wrap

I'll try that.

I've been having problems trying to stop them from turning when tying the tail in the standard bass fly, tarpon fly style. I get them strait but they seem to always twist on me.

Rip Tide 01-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug (Post 518404)
I'll try that.
I've been having problems trying to stop them from turning when tying the tail in the standard bass fly, tarpon fly style. I get them strait but they seem to always twist on me.

If you're doing multiple saddle hackles, like a deceiver type wing with 3 on each side, it helps to glue them together first before tying in.

mudbug 01-20-2013 03:45 PM

Stuff like this is what I have been tying lately.

http://shop.uptownangler.com/media/c...art-griz_2.jpg

Rip Tide 01-20-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbug (Post 518430)
Stuff like this is what I have been tying lately.

With a fly like that, you want to tie all the hackles in all at once ON TOP of the hook shank, not on the sides.

mudbug 01-20-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 518432)
With a fly like that, you want to tie all the hackles in all at once ON TOP of the hook shank, not on the sides.

I've tried that and they still roll.

Now, I don't mean I can never get them set, just that they fight me and I was wondering if there are any tricks.

Rip Tide 01-20-2013 05:55 PM

If you do the pinch wrap correctly, they should not roll

Hold the feathers securely and make 3 wraps. No more no less and do not tighten until the end.
Straight up (capture the thread)- straight down (capture the thread) . Straight up-straight down. Straight up -straight down.
Then while keeping a tight grip holding the hackles in place, pull it all tight on the last downward wrap.
That should do it.

dabluz 01-20-2013 08:18 PM

The technique that Rip Tide has just described is the holy grail of fly tying.

I don't go 3 times but I do 2 times before tightening the thread. The index finger and thumb of the hand holding the materials act like stiff walls on each side of the hook. The thread is hidden between the finger and the thumb. Nothing can go sideways so everything stays in place and the thread tightens without forcing the materials in any other direction but down.

Pinching the material also helps but it still takes Rip Tide's method to make sure that the material is solidly fixed to the hook shank.

Guest1 01-20-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 518412)
it helps to glue them together first before tying in.

The best thing I have found so far is sewing glue for cloth. I use the washable kind so it doen't get funky when fished. Doesn't take a lot of glue. A little goes a long way.