The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Tying a good hunchback

Hey there. I'm interested to see what kind of techniques can be used to create a hunchback effect for scud flies. Any input? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tying a good hunchback

Click the image to open in full size.

scud hook and a little wire works

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I've seen that cut-out lead strip technique before but I am very leery that it would stay in place on the hook.

I prefer to use lead wire or flat tape and make layers. The first covers most of the body portion of the hook. Make a second layer that begins above the hook point and goes short of the eye, then you can make one more layer shorter yet. It looks good if you use the flat tape, it creates the general shape and weighs the sucker down very nicely. Then you can continue to bulk it up with dubbing if need be.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I've seen that cut-out lead strip technique before but I am very leery that it would stay in place on the hook.
the beauty of that is if and when it moves you can always rotate it back into position. if you have never tried it you'll never know!
mcnerney likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
the beauty of that is if and when it moves you can always rotate it back into position. if you have never tried it you'll never know!
True, and if the fly is just a simple ragged, dubbed scud there really is no top or bottom so who cares if it drifts on it's "side?"

Just remember, if you do tie like illustrated, heavily weighted on one side of the hook, the fly invert and drift weighted-side down. So really, as the picture shows, lashing a humpback of lead on the top side of a curved scud hook will make a bug that drifts inverted - hook up, and body curved up as well. So you have to tie your scud back in on the "bottom" or underside of the hook. Or leave it off altogether and see what the heck happens.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post

I crimp the wire before winding it and it forms the rear taper, then I crimp it again just before winding the front section to get a front taper. It removes the front and rear abrupt ledge that you have to fill with a thread taper.
kglissmeyer1 and jaybo41 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-22-2013, 03:59 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

What Silver said...

But, I rarely tie my scuds with such a hump beyond what is lent to the shape by just the hook and materials alone. Scuds, when they swim do so straightened out and not curved, so I tie mine with a curved hook, yet fairly straight as pictured. And, I don't normally tie mine with lead as it usually makes them ride upside-down.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just give input as to what works for me and why.

KG's Spring Creek Scud:

Kelly
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly and I agree on scud shape. Check this earlier thread

Scuds Sizes?
mcnerney and kglissmeyer1 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Steve Korbay visited our club and showed us the exact style Davie McPhail uses in this video to build a hump.

Tying a Czech Style Nymph by Davie McPhail - YouTube
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Lots of Davie McPhail videos on YouTube. The only problem.....I only understand about 1 word in 20. You can't say that he is the most expressive person on YouTube.
itchmesir likes this.