The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Guess This bug!

I want to see if I got the pattern right... just looked at a picture of the bug and made the fly post what you think the fly is representing.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guess This bug!

That profile has stone written all over it. Nice looking tie.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM

wrongggggg I knew someone would say that... starts with an H
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Helgie!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM

If by that you mean Hellgramite... YES! The abdomen to thorax ratio is off for a stonefly which about 50/50
Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it's kinda short for a hellgrammite ! It's sort of in between a hellgrammite and a stonefly. The legs say stone . Helgies have a bunch of short ones. Just sayin ....
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Im with theboz on this one, seems alittle short for a hellgrammite. The ones I have found have been BIG and black. Plus those pinchers off the face are so noteable i'd try to wwork some goose biots in there just for affect.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My "home" river is loaded with hellgrammites and while I know that they have to grow to get that way, the ones I see are 3 and even 4 inches long.
In fact the woolybugger was originally designed to intimate them

The adult hellgrammite is known as the Dobsonfly and they're the stuff of nightmares.
I had one about this size land on my face one night. It scared the **** out of me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Yeah my buddy's dad bare hand grabbed a male dobbsenfly when we were camping, it was flying around in his tent, he thought it was a bird. Then we shined the flashlight on and it he about pooped his pants. It was pretty funny. The pinchers are mainly for show from what I understand when they are adults, but the larve ones are for business.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Yeah they mean business alright! Makes a sandworm bite feel like a skeeter!