The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By webrx
  • 1 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Where can I get this blade?

Click the image to open in full size.

I have looked everywhere, and can't find this kind of spinning blade. I have resorted to tying my own because the local place quit selling them. All it is, is a wooly bugger with a small spinning blade.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I get this blade?

I've never seen a fly with those blades on, but have seen the blades.

Here you go:

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Wapsi Propeller Blades
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Where can I get this blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I've never seen a fly with those blades on, but have seen the blades.

Here you go:

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Wapsi Propeller Blades
That is fantastic!!!! Thanks!
This literally was the only style of fly I threw all last season for smallies, and large mouths.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

those are used on "pistol pete" wooly buggers - i think that is what they are called, my buddy uses em sometimes, we tell him he is cheating cuz it is fun to pick on him, but, they do seem to work.

d
shotgunfly likes this.

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Yes, that looks like a "Pistol Pete" wooly bugger. They are sold by HiCountry flies out of Trinidad,Co. Seems like a 12 yr old kid invented it. They have them in #6 and #10, only. Cabelas has them, as well as Yager flies in Lawence, Ks. Fantastic fly, used 'em for years. Like to see some in #12, at least.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:09 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

you can get propellers wherever lure making supplies are sold. brick and mortar and online

GOOGLE "lure making propellers"
brucerducer likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
you can get propellers wherever lure making supplies are sold. brick and mortar and online

GOOGLE "lure making propellers"
Yes. Barlows should be an adequate source. Do a search of the page listed. Just type "Propeller Blades".

http://www.barlowstackle.com/AdvancedSearch.aspx

Otherwise, "tackle craft" would be the appropriate search phrase to lead you to odds and ends like this.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

when i was younger, i remember seeing a whole card of those(pistol pete) flies in my grandfathers basement.....fond memories.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I remember going "man these are gonna be awesome on flies" so i bought a pack of each size in silver and gold.. I've used maybe 10 of them at the most haha.. but I did make a really slick propeller popper with them..

Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

J. Stockard and Mudhole both have them. Mudhole has them in colors also.