The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default scud dubbing

I can't seem to find a good scud dubbing that with the use of a dubbing brush, creates legs. what brand and type do you guys use for this?

Also, there's a fly that I've heard locally (ozarks) called the UV dubbing scud. what dubbing is used in this fly? and is UV dubbing just a sparkly dubbing or does it have some thing to do with UV rays.

thanks for the help
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: scud dubbing

check out the czech nymph fly swap going on now. i like to use angora goat hair for the throat.
you can also use a dubbing loop tool.

Last edited by kayo; 01-24-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

With scuds, I usually will just split my thread and make a dubbing loop. I generally use SLF's scud/sowbug blends.

The other thing that you can do to create some real buggy looking legs is make a dubbing loop with partridge feathers. Wrap that around the fly, flip the shellback over it, rib it, and you have one seriously buggy fly.

If you're interested in this, I'll be back next week and can do a step by step for you.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I can't seem to find a good scud dubbing that with the use of a dubbing brush, creates legs. what brand and type do you guys use for this?

Also, there's a fly that I've heard locally (ozarks) called the UV dubbing scud. what dubbing is used in this fly? and is UV dubbing just a sparkly dubbing or does it have some thing to do with UV rays.

thanks for the help
There are several manufacturer's that make a "UV" dubbing.

For example there is Hareline UV Ice dubbing, Hook & Hackle UV dubbing, & Frog Hair UV dubbing. There are also different brands of scud dubbing.

The "legs" on a scud pattern are basically long strands of dubbing material that have been pulled or brushed out after the fly has been dubbed and the shell back tied on. I use a nylon 22 caliber cleaning brush but any rough surface such as a piece of the hook section of velcro glued to a stick can be sued. Even a needle bodkin can be used.

UV dubbing reflects UV light that is invisible to us but visible to some fish. Personally I think it is the flash rather than the UV reflectance since adult trout lose most if not all their ability to see into the UV spectrum as they mature.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-24-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

These are two good Scud dubbings that I frequently use that brush out well:

Arizona Fly Fishing Blends (John Rohmer USA)

FlyMasters of Indianapolis Online Shopping

Click the image to open in full size.

SAPS…(Stick a Pig SCUD) …

THREAD: UTC 70 Denier, Fl. White, under abdomen -UTC 70 Denier, Black, head

HOOK: Daiichi 1120, TMC 2457, Mustad CO 68 #12- #18

TAIL: Olive Partridge Fibers

SHELLBACK: Olive Swiss Straw

UNDER SHELLBACK: Chartreuse Holographic Tinsel, Medium or Small

ABDOMEN: 20% UV 2 Dubbing Enhancer, Dark – 80% Sow Scud Dubbing, Olive

RIB: Olive Glitter Thread – Cascade Crest or clear 5x Mono

* Notice that UV 2 Dubbing Enhancer is mixed with Sow Scud dubbing...

Click the image to open in full size.

UV 2 Products from Spirit River...

...and if it was JUNK, this guy wouldn't sell it:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...922313317.html

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 01-24-2013, 10:41 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Silver, that's an interesting post. Do you know what the Deuteros, Protos, and Tri(tos) in those terms is referring to? I know the suffix an-opia means blind.