The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Waxed or unwaxed? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/309375-waxed-unwaxed.html)

lthrnk03 01-29-2013 05:25 PM

Waxed or unwaxed?

I'm getting close to needing to stock up on thread. I'd prefer to get one of the "bundle" packs, instead of buying one spool at a time. So what's your preference....waxed or unwaxed?

brucerducer 01-29-2013 05:58 PM

Re: Waxed or unwaxed?

lthrnk:

With synthetic fibers, I am content to use unwaxed.

The people at the sewing shops inform me that cotton threads will rot so much faster than any synthetic; but I don't think that there are cotton threads for fly tying anymore..

silver creek 01-29-2013 06:11 PM

Unwaxed for me plus I want a nonbonded thread that I can untwist to flatten or that I can split for split thread dubbing. The two that come to mind are Danville Flymaster unwaxed and the UTC brand of threads.

lthrnk03 01-29-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver creek (Post 521360)
Unwaxed for me plus I want a nonbonded thread that I can untwist to flatten or that I can split for split thread dubbing. The two that come to mind are Danville Flymaster unwaxed and the UTC brand of threads.

Not to go off on a tangent....but I never considered splitting thread to dub, instead of making a dubbing loop. I'll have to give it a try.

jaybo41 01-29-2013 07:33 PM

Unwaxed and much like silver, my preferences are for UTC and Danville Flymaster for the same reasons he's mentioned. If I need wax, I'll add it myself. Splitting the thread is a little more cumbersome than dubbing loop, but once you get the hang of doing it, its not so bad. Doing this helps keep bulk to a minimum.

The other thread I really like is Gordon's Griffith 14/0 for smaller flies. I've got some Benichi thread that works well too. I've been hearing lots about the Veevus thread but have yet to try it. I always do dubbing loops with the small thread.

brucerducer 01-30-2013 04:43 AM

By the way, while we're on the thread subject, some fellow showed me Silk Thread. It was Pearsall's, and I think the company is in St. Louis, MO.

The silk was recommended for certain Dry Flies with about one turn of hackle and the silk wrap on the hook for a body and that is all there is to the entirely Mayfly imitation.

Certain of the Silk colors, it seems, take on a very natural look when wet. He was tying a light gray as I recall, possibly a Pale Morning Dun. I'll ask him next time I see him. It was a tying clinic and so much was going on I can't remember it all.

Although I am someone intimidated by the idea of tying dry flies, I tied one for the first time, using the fellow's vise, and it was so easy I thought,
"Gee, I could just tie these things all day long!". He said they catch fish for him. It's a very sparse hackle. Very sparse with only about one wrap or 1-1/2 wrap of hackle, and one layer of silk thread wrap for a body.

kglissmeyer1 01-30-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver creek (Post 521360)

Silver and I think alike - non-waxed for most applications for me for the same reasons Silver mentioned. Also, I would not recommend the pre-packed thread collections because you will not usually use many of the colors. Buy what you need and use the most.

Kelly.

dean_mt 01-30-2013 11:32 AM

[poke] ... Nevermind, I thought this was about something else ... :o

wt bash 01-30-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 521592)

Well you opened Padora's Box brother! Which one!:icon_razz

lthrnk03 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 521592)

Do tell...do tell..... :wow: