The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Waxed or unwaxed?

I'm getting close to needing to stock up on thread. I'd prefer to get one of the "bundle" packs, instead of buying one spool at a time. So what's your preference....waxed or unwaxed?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waxed or unwaxed?

lthrnk:

With synthetic fibers, I am content to use unwaxed.

The people at the sewing shops inform me that cotton threads will rot so much faster than any synthetic; but I don't think that there are cotton threads for fly tying anymore..

fredaevans and lthrnk03 like this.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Unwaxed for me plus I want a nonbonded thread that I can untwist to flatten or that I can split for split thread dubbing. The two that come to mind are Danville Flymaster unwaxed and the UTC brand of threads.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Unwaxed for me plus I want a nonbonded thread that I can untwist to flatten or that I can split for split thread dubbing. The two that come to mind are Danville Flymaster unwaxed and the UTC brand of threads.
Not to go off on a tangent....but I never considered splitting thread to dub, instead of making a dubbing loop. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Unwaxed and much like silver, my preferences are for UTC and Danville Flymaster for the same reasons he's mentioned. If I need wax, I'll add it myself. Splitting the thread is a little more cumbersome than dubbing loop, but once you get the hang of doing it, its not so bad. Doing this helps keep bulk to a minimum.

The other thread I really like is Gordon's Griffith 14/0 for smaller flies. I've got some Benichi thread that works well too. I've been hearing lots about the Veevus thread but have yet to try it. I always do dubbing loops with the small thread.
mcnerney, lthrnk03 and itchmesir like this.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

By the way, while we're on the thread subject, some fellow showed me Silk Thread. It was Pearsall's, and I think the company is in St. Louis, MO.

The silk was recommended for certain Dry Flies with about one turn of hackle and the silk wrap on the hook for a body and that is all there is to the entirely Mayfly imitation.

Certain of the Silk colors, it seems, take on a very natural look when wet. He was tying a light gray as I recall, possibly a Pale Morning Dun. I'll ask him next time I see him. It was a tying clinic and so much was going on I can't remember it all.

Although I am someone intimidated by the idea of tying dry flies, I tied one for the first time, using the fellow's vise, and it was so easy I thought,
"Gee, I could just tie these things all day long!". He said they catch fish for him. It's a very sparse hackle. Very sparse with only about one wrap or 1-1/2 wrap of hackle, and one layer of silk thread wrap for a body.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:29 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Silver and I think alike - non-waxed for most applications for me for the same reasons Silver mentioned. Also, I would not recommend the pre-packed thread collections because you will not usually use many of the colors. Buy what you need and use the most.

Kelly.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

... Nevermind, I thought this was about something else ...
mcnerney, Guest1, wt bash and 1 others like this.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Well you opened Padora's Box brother! Which one!
lthrnk03 likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Do tell...do tell.....