The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renzetti Traveller

I finally upgraded my vise last year and got a Renzetti Traveller with a pedestal base. I find it holds a good range of hooks very firmly and enjoy tying on it. There is one issue I am running into and wonder if anyone has run into it and found a solution. The screw that secures the vise to the pedestal loosens rather easily allowing the vise to spin a bit when I tie. I've considered a drop of superglue since I plan to keep it on the pedestal base but figure there has to be a better way to secure the screw.

thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Renzetti Traveller

try some Loctite blue on the threads.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

I have the C-clamp version of the traveler. If your tying station permits it, you could always get the C-clamp (about $45 I think) if you didn't want to glue it to the pedestal. But I would try to fix it first.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own that vise but I'd be leary of using Super Glue to secure it. You might consider getting in touch with Renzetti and explain your problem. Perhaps they've run into this before and can offer you a solution. Kayo's suggestion is solid, loctite is what I'd try before I used Super Glue.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I agree, blue loctite.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Loctite sounds like a good plan. Might email Renzetti as well. It's not so bad that it's a problem just more of an annoyance. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I have both the C-Clamp and the pedestal base. I've never had a problem with the screw loosening. My first thought before adding any Loctite to the screw would be to contact Renzetti. My understanding is that they have a pretty good customer service dept. I know from following them on Facebook, they are a small "mom and pop" company. Its always been my experience that mom and pop shops offer great customer service. Give em a call.
mcnerney, williamhj and shotgunfly like this.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

A small drop of hot glue.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:37 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted
dean_mt likes this.

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I had problems with the screw backing out on a pair of tying scissors. A guy whose in the scissor business gave me a solution that is quite good as it isn't permanent and uses simple household materials to resolve the problem. It might be worth a try on your vise. In any case it can't hurt.
Here's the thread:
Good fly tying scissors?