The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dakotakid
  • 4 Post By flytire
  • 1 Post By theboz
  • 2 Post By flytire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default marabou question

what are the different types of marabou and what are their uses (specifically the best for wooly buggers)?

thanks for the help
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: marabou question

My limited understanding is:

- Strung and blood quill marabou are the same thing,
- Wooly Bugger marabou is fluffier and webbier than strung and blood quill marabou,
- Based on personal experience, quality of marabou can differ from one supplier to another in terms of fluffiness and webbiness.
- You can improve marabou by tearing off any stringy (non-webby) portion. The latter suggestion comes from a Tightlinevideo on Youtube titled, "Tying and Olive Woolly Bugger Fly" (
)

Some of this is based on what I've read from the Wapsi marabou website (Welcome to Wapsi Fly, Inc. - Marabou).
brucerducer likes this.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

heres what i found on the internet (they cant post anything on the internet thats not true)

Blood Quills
Blood Quills tend to have thin center shafts, they wind well for hackling flies, and they gather well for tails and wings. The tips of the vanes align very evenly, making them an easy-to-use winging material. Jigs? Does anyone tie jigs? No one I know, that’s for sure. But if you do, Blood quills are your best bet

Extra Select Quills

These Giant size Marabou feathers are my favorite for hackling really large salmon and steelhead flies. These are perfect for what one could call Spey-style flies. I may only use the top 1/3 of the quill for hackling a fly, as the lower portion of the quill can get a little on the thick side to wind effectively. These well-hackled quill sections get put aside for use with my Petitjean Magic Tool for future creative uses.

Woolly Bugger Marabou

This material is my hands-down favorite for tailing steelhead and trout flies. This grade has a thick shaft and is not well suited for hackling, but has nice even ends and is very full, making a go-eat-me tail on all sorts of flies. Lake fly fishers love these feathers for leeches and buggers.

Barred Blood Marabou
This dying process applied to Blood Quills is relatively new. This product is tons of fun for winging, tailing, and hackling salmon and steelhead flies. Rumor has it that bass and carp flies tied with these wild feathers are effective also, but I wouldn’t know nuthin’ ‘bout that.

Grizzly Mini and Mini Marabou
These feathers are the smallest in the marabou line-up. These are bit time effective for tying — listen up—flies for trout and saltwater species. Wow. One minute a guy will be using grizzly mini watchamacallit for a nymph tail or wing-case, while, seven houses down the block, another tyer is using the stuff for bonefish or permit patterns!

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/
Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

My personal preferences for tails on buggers or leeches are blood quills with wooly bugger marabou a close second. It really depends on the look you're going for.

Great job summarizing the deferent types flytire, those are the ones I've seen in the fly shops or online shops too.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:47 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Great breakdown on the marabou! Threw some rep at you for that one!
jaybo41 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

in all honesty, if you sort through any of the types of marabou mentioned above and preen out the not so good fibers, they can all be used as tails for wooly buggers.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:14 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytire View Post
in all honesty, if you sort through any of the types of marabou mentioned above and preen out the not so good fibers, they can all be used as tails for wooly buggers.
Absolutely they can but I wouldn't waste my money on Extra Select for purposes of Buggers. The stems on those also tends to be on the thick side. Now if you have them on hand and are in a pinch, that's a different story.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM

my favorite

jaybo41 and brucerducer like this.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

Thats an interesting woolly bugger flytire. thanks for all of the help!