The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > General Fly Tying Discussions

General Fly Tying Discussions Talk about anything somewhat related to fly tying...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default RS2 Sizing/ how to fish

I was tying some of these ina size 16 nymph hook is that too large? also how should you fish these? with weight no weight in the film deep? thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: RS2 Sizing/ how to fish

I would say a 16 in all likelihood to big. I can't say for sure based on where you live. I can only speak for where I fish. I typically will carry a few in size 18 but the majority are size 20-24. Some guys here in Colorado fish them in 26 & 28. For me to fish them that small if would have to tie them to tippet at home or I would spend my day cussing up a storm dropping flies in the river as I unsuccessfully attempt to tie them on.

I usually fish an RS2 on the surface when I see fish feeding and breaking the surface but not quite sipping dries. I do carry some wire ribbed RS2 for getting down under the film a few inches. I also have some very small bead head RS2's.

Back to your original question 99.9% of the time I fish a size 20 either behind a BWO dry, or on its own just below the surface.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Match the size to what is on your water and smaller. I fish this off the back of a larger dry / terrestrial as a dropper when the fish are on emergers. I have fished them on the top dropper with a larva on point with no indicators or weight and did well.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

As previously stated... I fish RS2's in 20-24 sizes, most often as a dropper behind a BWO, sub-surface.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM

okay atleast tying them on a larger hook was god practice thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Do not give up on the 16s they will work well during a BWO hatch (tied in olive) on the Arkansas or even on Grey Reef (tied in black and grey) early as Mayflies and BWOs start coming off.

Do not get me wrong I use the above mentioned sizes on our tail waters as well, the RS2 is a great all around pattern.

I love fishing them weighted below a size smaller or larger during a major hatch to cover my bases. During a hatch use a jerky upward motion during the drift to simulate the rising emerger. Amazing takes during a hatch.

I will also use the RS2 as a searching pattern as the flash will sometimes create a positive response for no reason at all.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks Ill probably use them and also tie some in smaller sizes. Do you guys tie them on curved grub hooks or on straight hooks?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

The RS 2 is a pattern that has been around for over 30 years, There are many variations. Here is some information about the pattern and its' creator - Rim Chung:

One Fly Fisherman

This is the RS2 Home Page paying tribute to Rim Chung.

This is one I am playing with now and it may be tied on a light wire scud hook with a pearl or mercury glass bead and some 0.10 lead or lead sub. wraps under the thorax. I tie them in #14 - #22... fished deep or in the surface film and they ALL work...

Click the image to open in full size.

JUJU (UV 2) RS-2 EMERGER (Baetis, Gray/Olive)…Chung/Craven-Variant…or as my daughter ALLY would say. “Der…”…

HOOK: Daiichi 1110, #18 – #22

THREAD: Tiemco 16/0, White- Abdomen and Thorax…Tiemco 16/0, Gray – Head

TAIL: Moose Body Hair. Black – Nature’s Spirit

ABDOMEN: 1 strand Olive Super Hair, 2 strands Gray Super Hair wrapped over abdomen

WING: CDC Puff, Medium Dun

THORAX: UV 2 Fine and Dry, Adams Grey – Spirit River
A combination of elements from two proven patterns – Rim Chung’s RS-2 and Charlie Craven’s Juju series…

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold

contents deleted

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Last edited by flytire; 05-07-2013 at 04:59 AM.