The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Fly Tying Discussions (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/)
-   -   Craft fur for Clousers? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/309991-craft-fur-clousers.html)

kingofamberley 02-04-2013 11:31 AM

Craft fur for Clousers?

I got some materials yesterday from bass pro for tying clousers. I am fairly new to tying and while I really enjoy it, I am still learning the ins and outs of all the various tying materials. Trying to save a few bucks, I opted to get craft fur instead of buck tail. I got a pack of white and a pack of chartreuse. When I got home I looked online to see if I made a good choice and I've been getting conflicting views.
So what do you guys think? Is craft fur any good for clousers? Or does it foul the hook too much/not hold its shape well enough? Did I mess up by buying it instead of real buck tails? I'm thinking of going back today to exchange it, but I'd like to get some opinions before I drive all the way out there. Thanks!

bigshayne 02-04-2013 11:35 AM

Re: Craft fur for Clousers?

You might have to use a little more of it than buck tail, but it's all I use for my clousers.

kingofamberley 02-04-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I should add, its Rumpf Extra Select.

Rip Tide 02-04-2013 12:01 PM

The craft fur will mat and you may have to comb it out once in a while but it make perfectly acceptable flies

If you want some cheap bucktail, Cabela's sells a "grab bag" of broken pieces for about 10 bucks. It's well worth it I think.
There really is no substitute.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/c...wU9t3Q2j9iA8y6

itchmesir 02-04-2013 12:07 PM

I bought a grab bag of buck tails from Cabela's(at the store.. not online)... really nice imho... had all the colors I needed... and then some... and I've been able to tie plenty of clousers with it...

I tried craft fur and it drives me nuts personally... I much prefer bucktail for my clousers... a couple casts or 1 fish and a craft fur clouser is nothing short of a complete mess and a shell of its former self...

Bucktail can be expensive.. But unless you're tying big ol honkin muskie flies... 1 tail will go a LONG way

stl_geoff 02-04-2013 12:33 PM

How expensive is your guys bucktails?? I can get 2-3 chunklets of it for $1.60 and a whole tail is $4.95. i dont really think thats all that expensive, maybe Im in a source of cheap bucktail though?

Rip Tide 02-04-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_geoff (Post 523372)
How expensive is your guys bucktails?? I can get 2-3 chunklets of it for $1.60 and a whole tail is $4.95. i dont really think thats all that expensive, maybe Im in a source of cheap bucktail though?

I think that the last ones I bought were around $3 for large whole tails.
But I still think that the Cabelas grab bag is a deal. It's good for having a small amount of colors that you normally wouldn't buy.
I use a lot of bucktail too.

itchmesir 02-04-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_geoff (Post 523372)

Colored or natural bucktails? I'm interested in this source if they are colored... a full tail often runs $6+ for me...

kingofamberley 02-04-2013 12:42 PM

The buck tails at bass pro are 6 bucks. The craft fur was 4 for a good sized bag.

kingofamberley 02-04-2013 05:03 PM

I ended up going across town to a fly shop, and picked up a variety pack of buck tail for 5 bucks. Can't beat that! Its not a huge amount of any one color but its enough to get me started. Still deciding if I should keep the craft fur or return it next time I head the direction of Bass Pro.